workbench from wood mag.

Just the finished the workbench in the recent edition. I used a sc luan door as the top. Should I protect it somehow? Laminate? another sheet of luan? Thanks in advance.

Red Tennessee by birth Volunteer by the Grace of God

Reply to
alysonsdad

What do you want to accomplish by protecting it? As a workbench, you can expect it to get dinged and cut, and things sprayed and dripped on it. A sacrificial layer on top that can be replaced when desired won't really add any functionality, but might allow it to look better at some future time. You could wait until you accumulate some of those things, and then add on a sheet of something. Whatever you decide, have fun working on it.

Steve, next door in NC

Reply to
Steve Peterson

"alysonsdad" wrote in news:1118593425.241974.260950 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Shellac, oil or some varnish might make it easier to scrape crud off of it. Whatever you have on the shelf that isn't enough for some other project. Finishes don't improve with age.

But you could leave it alone, and it would be OK.

Being a woodworker, though, you're not likely to leave it alone.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch