workbench

Page 1 of 2
Here's a workbench on sale in Craigslist, Wichita KS. area. Seems kind of pricy but maybe not. http://wichita.craigslist.org/tls/4908692778.html

Looks like a well used and abused workbench being sold as an "antique" with questionable "mennonite/amish" provenance raising the price.
Not convinced it has great value as a "work bench" for any kind of fine woodworking.
On 03/14/2015 12:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Given the area I'd say the "provenance" is quite likely valid given the large Mennonite population in the state and particularly just to the west of Wichita area in particular.
Looks simply well-used to me; a top-flattening if were to want to actually put it to work would likely be all that's required.
Most if not all of the others (didn't look at every one) have been refinished and repurposed as furniture rather than workbenches.
Whether there's collector value in these benches similar to furniture I've no klew/experience; if that were so the originality and lack of having been "restored" is probably value...for a working piece instead of collectible, "not so much".
$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

Niagara region.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-storage-bench/london/rock-solid-large-workbench/1056862402?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
On 3/14/2015 1:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not sure why you think that is MUCH better. I don't think it is.
The classic is in rough shape, and will require a lot of work. But you would have to see it personally to evaluate whether it is worth it or not. Looks like at least 1/4" needs to be removed from the top for the dog holes to be more supported.
That's a lot of work. An electric hand planer or a scrub plane can help take off lots quickly.
--
Jeff

for only a little more than that Kansas piece, look at this one:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/muskoka/antique-vintage-wooden-workbench/1056736096?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-furniture/ottawa/antique-workbench-island/1056738795?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Likely every bit as old too. A whole lot less abuse.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-furniture-other-table/muskoka/vintage-carpenters-workbench/1053201239?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

fraction of the price too!!!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-storage-bench/hamilton/carpenters-work-bench/1052976244?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-furniture/oakville-halton-region/early-solid-craftsman-workbench-great-for-tv-or-kitchen-island/1052672445?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

thing. A "puppetmaker's bench".

Another well-priced beaty of a workbench--- http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/hamilton/antique-workbench/1046100374?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

And this one is just across town from me. Pricy, but a whole lot better than that Kansas piece.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hutch-display-cabinet/kitchener-waterloo/antique-work-bench-server-buffet/1045379642?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/stratford-on/antique-shop-workbench-huge-vise-make-a-great-table/1021298076?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What does a new top-of-line workbench cost?
Joe Gwinn

$2,500 - $3,500
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/sjobergs-workbench-elite-with-drawer-cabinet.aspx
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/workbenches/new-1-B-LNRB?nodeA13
On 3/15/2015 1:12 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

I do not consider sjobergs quality workbenches. Too many things wrong. Same with the LIE.
The major thing you want is to avoid racking, and both use thin rails. So they don't really avoid the problem.
--
Jeff

$600 and it don't need no stinking rails... ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/z32DUwtTjAE

-part 2 -
https://www.youtube.com/embed/8DNcrvlfook

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 19:05:19 +0000, Spalted Walt

Nice, though it must be hard on the tools.

Without getting into the who-is-the-fairest-workbench-of-them-all debate, $1900 seems to be too close to the price of new to be competitive.
Joe Gwinn