Work Bench

Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

Ok if you support it properly underneath and put a replaceable sheet of 1/4 masonite on top :)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Complete our tool survey, Win $200! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander - Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler - Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage - Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System - Digital Calipers & Height Gauge - Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated) ------------------------------------------------------------
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:30:28 -0400, "Carson McAloney"

A friend built one with a ply base, a hefty MDF inner core and a masonite top, the top was only about 4mm thick, and will be replaced as required.
Personally I preferred to glue 2x4 pine together like a butchers block. Then applied 3-4 coats of the cheapest polyurethane and soya bean oil every couple of months. Solid and looks great.
Barry Lennox

For a standard garage bench of higher quality, I would build the leg set or trestle of 4"x4" (legs and side braces) the top braces flush with the tops of the legs. And 4"x6" for front and rear stretchers (2), low enough to make a useable shelf of ply.
Say a top dimesion of 8'x2'
Then lay down an 8 foot 1/2 sheet of 3/4" construction ply, nailed down, coat with "titebond II extend" glue (long open time).
Then immedietly, a layer of 2"x2" to the same length and width, gang-glue those with many cheap clamps front to back. Wait a week for drying, then hand plane the top to flush-flat. Lamination.
After that, drill and countersink for bolting to the trestle. That oughta last you 2 lifetimes and stay tough.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Carson McAloney wrote:

Here's my first try at a woodworking workbench - made from the instruction in Sam Allen's book "Making Workbenches". The top is laminated MDF, with masonite skin on 5 sides. I have found the bench to be very versatile and has held up great. I'm still going to make something ala Frank Klausz's bench someday. But, as far as MDF being suitable for a bench, it works very well - you just need to protect the surface from moisture. As others have suggested, making the top layer of masonite replaceable (something I didn't do) is probably a good idea, although in 1.5 years I haven't had enough wear on mine to worry about, so I would say it will last 10-15 years on one sheet anyway unless you are particularly careless.
Mike
http://www.spaltedboard.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=forum&board=photos&op=d isplay&num7

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:30:28 -0400, "Carson McAloney"
Not on its own. MDF will sag if unsupported, so you'll need to put some closely-spaced supports beneath it. Alternatively use MDF over ply.
Personally I'd use a replaceable layer of 4mm MDF over two layers of 3/4" plywood.