woodworking vise

Any suggestions where I can order a decent, inexpensive woodworking vise?
Is $100 too much? If not consider the Wilton that I picked up at Lowes, of all places. It has a pivot plate that can be removed. It's a pattern maker's vise, IIRC. I had previously wasted my money on a cheap ($40) Shop Fox vise, which now sits unused in my attic. I replaced the cheapy within a couple of months...
David
Doug wrote:

I've heard very good things about the Veritas Twin Screw Vise ($159 at Lee Valley). That's what I'll be putting on my benches someday - at least until I start going with the Tucker Vises. : )
JP ************************* To every craftsman, a bench.
got mine for 25% off
David wrote:

On 19 Aug 2004 07:06:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com (Doug) wrote:

Shipping can be expensive as these can be heavy. Record vises (Make in the UK) are excellent quality. I like the quick release feature, although that is more money. Don't skimp on a vise, it will be your friend for many years. Expect to spend $100.

I think I can see however that the Rocords shown on LV site, no sliding dogs, is that a problem?
Alex
Phisherman wrote:

At least in Canada, the Record quick-release vises are no longer available. I checked with two sources, one being LV.
- Daniel
Doug wrote:

Check the local antique stores. Old Wiltons and Columbians are fairly common and inexpensive. Take a look at eBay for that matter.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I looked at that link and it appears that the permanent Record vise is the same price as the portable Record vise. I thought the permanent one would be more expensive and the portable one less expensive. I've got an old 12" Record vise that's in storage right now. I don't think Record makes them that big anymore, and I've got the portable record vise that does double duty for most small jobs around the apartment.
snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com says...

That depends on what you consider inexpensive and, unless you find a "deal" somewhere, the term decent and inexpensive is almost mutually exclusive when it comes to vices.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods
MikeG wrote:

I've got a vise... I smoke cigarettes!
BUUWWAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Alex

I've got a pair of the Lee Valley front vises on my bench. Great value for your $.
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page1137&category=1,41659,4166 1&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID=>
djb
I bought a couple of Wiltons from Home Depot a few years ago on clearance for $7ea. They work well for me & I guess the brand name is well known.
Grandpa
Doug wrote:

On 19 Aug 2004 07:06:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com (Doug) wrote:

I bought one of these from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page1137&category=1%2C41659%2C41661
I haven't yet installed it but it certainly seems well built and solid. Comes with a pretty nice set of instructions, too, which you can view on line to get an idea of what's involved.