Woodworking season has offically arrived!

This is evident, as a multitude of catalogs have stuffed my mailbox this week. (yours too, Rob! My order will be in this week. )

Woodcraft is now pushing a Jet rip-off of a Tormek. I'm not in the market for a "sharpening system" right now, but I was wondering...

The Jet seems to cost as much as the Tormek, why would someone buy it over the tried and true original? Does the Jet do things the Tormek dosen't?

One interesting point is that the Jet sharpener uses "Flitz" as a polishing compound. Flitz is great stuff, available from many sources, so Tormek users should take note.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Crap. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be doing any woodworking before now. You gotta tell me these things ahead of time...

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I only worded it like that because my local Woodcraft owner tells me his business dies from May to August. I also work all year.

Watch your mailbox, you'll see!

Reply to
B A R R Y

The Tormek is single speed, the Jet is variable speed. They both can use the same accessories.

Reply to
Rick Sherman

"Back to shop sale!" 20% off any one Item! WOW, What a DEAL! Buy one, get one free Offers Inside.

Excludes ... all woodworking tools.

Reply to
Swingman

The JET also has a better water tray .. doesn't spill anything in use, has a storage tray in the base .. is more stable - bigger footprint .. AND .. is available from ANYONE other than SharpTools USA whom I have dealt with in the past and have experienced terrible post-purchase support .. .. besides, the JET IS cheaper with a base price of $399 and is on sale at most Woodcraft stores this month for $299. JET also claims their bronze bushings are an improvement over Tormek's plastic ones, but at 90 RPM, I don't think either one will wear out anytime soon.

Reply to
Anonymous

Swingman, What vendor had that sale?

Reply to
bf

I need a new putty knife so I'm off to the store tomorrow.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Aha! Thanks.

It's nice to hear the Jet machine does have some improvements.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The Rockler flyer was on my desk as I was reading Barry's post. The last three words are my poetic license ... but not all that far from the reality of Rockler's "exclusions".

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, it is early fall in Houston, humidity down to 45%, a slight north breeze and highs in the low 90's. Looks like it is going to be an early winter.

Reply to
Leon

Wow Bob, I can buy Tormek from 3 local suppliers. fortunately my experience with SharpTools has be pleasant.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, It is only a matter of time before we see 20% off everything except what you bring to the counter.

Reply to
Leon

Friday: Received weird letter from a bank I haven't had an account with for many years.

Saturday morning: Call bank. Turns out they have a bunch of money that they think is mine. They want to give it back.

Saturday afternoon: Lee Valley catalog arrives.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

All in all, a carefully orchestrated plot...

Reply to
B A R R Y

I know around here, the humidity is so wildly variable during the summer, that any work warps and twists when heating season starts... I pretty much save all the solid wood projects for late september and beyond. Plywood cabinets with narrow solid stock facings, etc. can be done in the summer, here. Of course finishing can sometimes present its own issues....

Reply to
Rob

There's also vacation time, outdoor pursuits, grass to cut, etc...

I've even noticed that Lee Valley's new product introductions surge towards the end of August and start to wane in February.

Reply to
B A R R Y