Woodworking Milestones?

Page 3 of 3

Reminds me of a puzzle I sent to my grandmother on the left coast in the mid 60s. I made the puzzle on my father's Shopsmith scroll saw when I was about 8 years old. When my father was at his sister's house in FL a few years ago he found out that my aunt now has the puzzle--this is some 20 years after my grandmother died. My mother still has a walnut beverage tray I made in the early 70s. Knowing that these things have endured for that long is pretty cool.
In more recent times, despite winning a ribbon at a woodworking show last year I still don't feel like I've arrived. I'm pretty proficient at many of the mechanical tasks but feel that I have a long way to go in many areas. For example, design, rococo carving, and veneering are areas in which I'd like to develop skills. I also appreciate that I am terribly hard on myself and few people can see errors that stick out like a sore thumb to me!
John
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

amateur
project?
Well, I'm still not to the "seasoned craftsman" level. But I knew I was getting better when I entered a small show and won a first: http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/sarahcradle/PB260032 .JPG p.s. The daughter's smile is worth more to me than the blue ribbon :-)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Me neither. Dave in Fairfax tells me I should do about 100 test runs before I try it for real, and I think he's right. I guess I'm just afraid I'd get two of them perfect, or three of them perfect, and bungle the last one horribly.

First large project. I made it out of cheap 1x2s that I cut with a cheap plastic miter box, and cheap plywood that I cut out with a cheap B&D jigsaw, finished with cheap Minwhacks stain, and I think Red Devil poly. I measured the space, drew it out on paper, figured and calculated and cut, and made it, and damn if it didn't fit.
This:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/shop/plant-stand.jpg
(It doesn't quite fit here. It fits the original window it used to sit in front of perfectly. The kind of neat thing about looking at this picture now, a year or two later, is that all of those plants are still alive. I finally found a collection of indestructible houseplants. I have killed teeming masses of the poor unsuspecting bastards, but these hardy critters can stand up to the worst kind of inept treatment ol' Silvan can dish out.)
First real lumber that wasn't from a BORG or recycled from something someone threw away. Hand in hand with this, first walnut, first time I ever used hand planes to make something out of semi-rough stock.
First halfway respectable table saw.
First shellac.
First time I did an entire project without using any sandpaper. (Planes and scrapers.)
On 30 Jan 2005 20:31:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My next milestone will be finishing the kitchen remodel and the bath remodel, so that I can actually do some bona fide wooddorking.
As with most milestones in the pursuit of excellence - although we appear to be walking in circles when seen from above, we are actually drilling down to a deeper understanding - when seen from a proper perspective.

Comfortable with sharpening your own tools to perfection. You create a piece of your own design - and someone offers you huge money for it. When people quit asking you to make something for them but start asking what it would cost to build .... Other professionals ask "How did you do that?" When you start to employ people to help with the process.
And the final milestone: You no longer have any desire to shop at Harbor Freight!
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com writes:

Wow. That looks *exactly* like the one the was my grandparents! They bought it from a dear friend in the 1950s. The wood on theirs is darker but all is the same. Amazing, itsn't it, how much alike things can be when they are different?
Glenna
Hmmmm. The first was my sewing cabinet. It was actually the first thing I took the time to properly finish and actually steel-wooled between coats of Deft, and it showed it. Additionally, it was the first thing I made just for me. I still have it though it has a couple of dings on it now. It's a shame I only could afford Douglas Fir plywood at the time; it could be an heirloom if I could have afforded a nice wood. It will last forever, however, as it is very sound and well constructed.
The second was a kitchen cabinet I made for over our kitchen windows. It had two partitions (three sections)with two doors on each section, 70" long and 20" high to fit exactly over the windows. The select white birch was so well matched that the doors almost looked stamped. When it was done, the Deft was so good that it shown like a mirror. That was the preview for my kitchen remodel. It might sound odd, but even the entire kitchen didn't produce as much satisfaction as that one cabinet. I actually joked with my husband that I wanted to be buried in it, even if it meant cutting the body into three pieces. When we left that house, I took the cabinet and installed it in the kitchen of the next house. Yes, it is now in this house. It wasn't easy finding a place for it here where it wouldn't be in the way because of its length, but it is in the hallway off the bedrooms/bathroom. It's not a place where it's properly displayed, but it's there. Interestingly enough, though I installed standards in dados, I never made shelves for it as there was no need.
Another milestone was a year or two ago when my middle son sent a friend of his to me, "My mom knows a lot, she always manages to come up with the right thing," when he needed help with a particular project.
I guess the most recent, and maybe most important, have been when my daughter-in-law started asking me to build particular things for them (and especially for the granddaughters) as well as particular sewing projects. In the earlier years, there had been a bit of an attitude (inspired by her mother) that because I was a do-it-yourselfer, I really didn't know much. Even her mother has changed her attitude after she saw the girls' Dorothy (dinosaur) costumes for Halloween 2003 and the Christmas bookshelves, both custom things of course.
An older milestone was when our male friends, who were laughing at a woman remodeling a kitchen, visited the finished project. The very positive feedback from others who they talked to about it was quite rewarding. Oddly, though I had a sense of pride/accomplishment at the finished project, it was more a necessity or ulitarian project. But then I consider all of mine ulitarian. If I didn't need them or have a use for them, it wouldn't be built.
Not a milestone, but a "you see!" was when I went to work as office manager for a remodeling company. After the first few weeks, he took me to the jobsite and said he wanted me to cut out for the sink and left to work outside. When he came back in, the sink was in place, fitting perfectly of course. He looked at me and said, "You really did remodel your kitchen, didn't you?" Geez. (For the record, he had left the drill in the truck so I had to go out and get it to drill the holes for the corners which he probably figured I wouldn't know about.) Guess he didn't believe a woman can run an office, look good, and use a saw. Oh, well. LOL
Glenna
Glenna Rose wrote: [snip]

Guys sure are funny, aren't they!
Josie