Woodworking gifts received

I replace half of the cracked wheat with wheat berriesand it's almost like roggebrood.
--
Best regards
Han

Be prepared to put on the weight. They make great bread and pizza dough and stuff, but it's usually in amounts of a pound or two and you'll pack on the weight. That's my only reason for not buying one. I'm fat enough.
On 12/26/09 7:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I have one of those, it makes great bread, pizza dough etc. Follow the recipes, they say it in there, but the order *really* is important when adding the ingredients.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Cooking allows for some variation of a recipe, baking follows a formula and does not.
Lew
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:36:29 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Baking requires a very precise chemical reaction. Like other chemical processes, the quantity and order of reactions is important. Baking is essentially chemistry with an edible outcome.

Gosh, ya never know what yer gonna learn here! I was away for a few days and missed most of the xmas related communications. So, to each of you I extend a belated MC & HNY to you and yours! Mrs. Santa delivered some "gent saws" that I saw on saw at Rockler, so I am looking forward to trying my hand at cutting some dove-tail joints next year (on scrap at first...). : )
Bill
krw wrote:

Sure it does. You still need certain ingredients for a reaction, but you can get variations by changing the quantities or adding other indgredients. If you are making bread, you need leavening, but you can still change other parts of the formula to suit your personal taste.

Don't expect just any mixture to come out as bread.

So this isn't a place to use saw dust as fiber?
John

Of course not. Just as you can't expect just any mixture to come out as wonton soup. But there's a hell of a lot of variation possible, just as in baking.
Butter instead of shortening, or olive oil? Changes the texture and flavour, but it's still bread. Mix white flour with wheat or rye flour? Different texture, but it's still bread. Change the oven temperature and/or humidity? Changes the texture and/or crust, but it's still bread. Bake in a pan as opposed to a stone? Still bread... Change the amount of yeast. or sugar? Still bread... Leaven with yeast or baking powder, or not at all? Still bread...
Etc., etc.
I don't think you actually made a lot of bread with your hands. Maybe just with machines?
The first bread-making machine my wife gave me was a 30" diameter stainless steel bowl. It's seen a LOT of use. I have a bread machine. Picked it up for $20 at a yard sale. Works great. It's in the basement, along with the microwave. They were just taking up counter space.
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:56:56 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

My bread machine is in the cupboard and seldom gets used, but I replaced my microwave the very next day when the last one died. I thrive on the use of those things, for rewarming everything under the sun, including the same cup of coffee 4 times when I'm working. Nukers are Manna from Heaven, to be sure!
-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:56:56 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

I wonder how much bread is made on the new 36" high countertops which are the style in homes today. They're better for prep work, but not for actual work, like kneading bread dough.
-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy
krw wrote:

I did not say "any mixture", I said you still need certain ingredients to get the proper chemical reaction. Baking soda, baking powder, yeast, sugar, salt, buttermilk, shortening, all have a job to do. Keep the proportions in a reasonable ratio and you can change the other ingredients at will. I've been changing recipes for decades. You?

I don't think krw has ever actually MADE bread.
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:25:05 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I don't "make" anything in the kitchen. SWMBO owns that territory. I do know that she follows baking recipes to the letter, other than fillers like nuts. Yes, she makes a lot of bread, or used to. She killed a "Bread Man" bread maker so we bought a Cuisenart. She doesn't like it at all so buys bread.

With bread machines, especially if you're using a timer for a fresh loaf in the morning, the ingredient order is critical. Generally: Water, fat, flour, sugar, salt with the yeast on top.
But if you're just talking about ingredients, you are wrong. Variation of ingredients and amounts in baking is entirely acceptable.
On 12/26/2009 05:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

They make really good bread. Next year you may need the lipo attachment for your shop vac.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Just a comment but if one doesn't like the look of the bread that comes out of it, one can let the bread machine do all the grunt work and then move the dough to another pan and bake it in the oven.
On 12/27/09 10:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

kneading, rising, kneading, rising, etc. cycles.
--
Froz...

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:09:01 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn

What worries me is that I just heard Toy say something under his breath about finally finding a way to use his excess sawdust...
-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy