Woodworking Book - Shameless Plug

Every year in our cities and towns, thousands of trees and the lumber they contain are thrown away in landfills, buried on construction sites, ground up for mulch, or cut for firewood.
At the same time, we pay dearly at lumber yards and home centers for many of the hardwoods and softwoods we continue to burn, bury, grind, and throw away.
My book, Harvesting Urban Timber - A Complete Guide, encourages woodworkers to make better use of urban timber by saving the best logs for lumber. The book is full of photographs and expert reviewed, computer-generated illustrations to help make clear the more complicated aspects of urban logging and milling.
http://www.harvestingurbantimber.com/book.html
You may also want to check out the gallery of furniture made from reclaimed timber including a couple by a guy named Norm. If you've made a piece from reclaimed lumber, let us know and we'll add it.
http://www.harvestingurbantimber.com/gallery.html
Thank you.

Do we know you, or are you just exploiting this discussion group as a free advertizing resource?

Yeah--I mean, it's not like you make planes or something.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@harvestingurbantimber.com (Sam Sherrill) wrote in
<snip>

<snip>
Your book just got a plug in this month's Woodwork magazine. John Lavine put it in his 'summer reading recommendations' list.
Some of the guys in our club do the harvesting thing, with some nice results. And I've got two backyard trees lining up this year, from family members.
I don't see a shortage of trees, or logs. It's the handling gear, the proper mill/saw combination, and the space to dry the wood that is a problem for me. By the time you outfit for all of that, you've got a small milling operation, and the economics are pretty tough, in a high labor cost, high real estate cost, high liability insurance cost area.
Maybe I should leave California again....
Patriarch

Interesting book. Would be nice to sneak a peek inside.
Appreciate the "shamless plug" in the subject. Makes it an obvious choice whether to read or discard. Thanks
"Sam Sherrill" wrote in message

... and thank you for the information on a subject that needs to be brought to the attention of woodworkers as resources dwindle.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

brought

This is not a negative comment so take no offense. I think its funny to have a gallery of items from "reclaimed" wood since it doesn't take any more skill than "non-reclaimed" wood. Except if you dry it yourself and it gets all warped. heheh.
Most of the wood I actually "buy" is from a sawyer who gets his logs from homeowners/ landowners in the local area. Except he has no deals on anything. Wood is not cheap, sigh. Most of my wood is "dumpster" maple.
It would be a great survey to find out where most woodworkers get their fix, err, I mean wood.
Rich
On 21 Jul 2004 11:56:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@harvestingurbantimber.com (Sam Sherrill) calmly ranted:

Sam, goodonya for the book. But why not put some more detail on Amazon, on your website, etc. so people can see WTF is -in- the book? Scan some pages (index, TOC, sample chapter pages) and let Amazon show them for you. Put them on your site so we'll be at least (OK, more) tempted to look. A single screen half full of ad copy doesn't constitute a book description.
So what's in it? Is it only for city critters, or only for those with their own mills? Curious minds want to know!
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
In Washington, there is a website called www.2good2toss.com that allows people to post surplus materials that they need to get rid of. Some of it is free, some of it is nearly free, but there is a lumber section.
I would love to see more usage of sites like to share excess materials with the community rather than letting it rot on finished job sites.
--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell

there's also freecycle. it's a yahoo groups thing with regional groups for a number of american cities.
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:31:29 GMT, "David"

Seeing that site both thrills and scares me. I see the recycling which thrills, but I see the Wa. State Dept. of Ecology, which somewhat scares me. (That may be because I'm currently reading Larry Niven's "Fallen Angels" and one main premise of the book is that the Ice Age they live in was caused by environmentalists. Electricity for heat is scarce, wood fires have been outlawed, so everyone is slowly freezing.) Hey, it could happen. ;)

Absolutely! I'm a happy Reduce/Recycle/Reuser myself.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
wrote: <snip>

Larry, thanks for mentioning the Niven book. That's one I'd missed. And I do hate to miss any of Niven's work.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

In that case, just in case you've missed it, there's a new Ringworld novel out, "Ringworld's Children".

--
--John

Thanks go to you, too. That's two books to pick up next trip in to civilization.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Thank you all for your comments. A couple people have suggested I provide a peek at what's inside so a new page has been added to the website to provide just that. http://www.harvestingurbantimber.com/peek.html I am also going to check what is required to have an inside look available on Amazon.
We also run a free ad service on the site to help connect mill owners and people who have trees or logs to cut. The ads are organized by state. http://www.harvestingurbantimber.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl
If anyone is interested in owning a millwork operation in Latvia, I'm not making this up, there's an ad for one for sale that keeps popping up in the mills section.
I will be posting some individual responses soon.
Thanks again.
Sam, It is a shameless plug. However, I just purchased you book. Living in SoCal, I have tried to recycle some trees from my yard with varying results.
A block away from my home a 100+ California (Coast Live) Oak was felled, cut and stacked for firewood. I don't know how much of it would have been available for lumber but having just buying 100 BF of quartersawn, it made me ill.
I look forward to getting a signed copy!
Dave

Two or three years ago, our woodworking club (www.diablowoodworkers.com) participated in a project, where the wood from a similar heritage tree was saved, and used in a wide range of projects, which were then featured in a local gallery.
We're doing it again this year. Lumber making is scheduled for three weeks from now.
Coastal oak is really difficult wood from which to make furniture. It doesn't want to stabilize, or dry easily. It tends to check and split. It has beautiful grain patterns, but seemingly, a mind of its own. The turning and carving experts had the best results with it.
I don't turn yet. I don't carve. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do with my project. Perhaps something frame & panel, with a rustic, mission or A&C feel to it, in a tall cabinet. We'll see. There's time to decide.
But it won't go straight to the burn pile.
Patriarch