Woodworking accident survey site

Page 1 of 2
Not sure if others have seen this site....
It's quite sobering to read about the accidents people have had with their woodworking equipment. Some are due to obvious carelessness (they admit so), but plenty are kickback-induced contact with blades or flying lumber.
    http://www.woodworking2.org/AccidentSurvey/search.htm
Michael
Thanks for posting this, Michael. It ought to be required reading every couple of months. As I read some of the incidents, I kept thinking "Stupid!" Then I read the horrible accident where the guy cut wood with unknown metal in it. It made me stop and think. I don't have a metal detector. I think I'll get one.
Bob

Its interesting how many people viewed use of a push stick as the panacea for safety, when they obviously were setting up unsafe cuts. When I bought my table saw, I quickly became annoyed that no safety or useage instruction was available. I went to the store and asked for a book that had some good sections on safety. I'm glad I did. Sometimes I think operating a tablesaw ought to require a license. I bought a grip-tite setup two weeks ago and will buy a Gripper next week. These are great tools for dramatically reducing the risk (coupled with a brain that is engaged).
Bob

Yes I've read this site. Every time someone posts an accident here, like one recently I ask them to post on this site to share their experiences. Both rank amatures and seasoned vets have accidents. I hope I never have to post on that site. A friend of mine just bought a TS and I told him to please read the site before cutting anything on his saw.
Some of these stories though...you gotta wonder if some people should take IQ tests before using machinery....like the one where the college student, impatient for the BS to stop, decided to grab the blade.... *sigh*
Layne
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:26:05 -0500, Michael Press

As an entry-level woodworker, I"m wondering if its possible to work in a shop for 25 years and NOT get hurt!? :)
<Layne> wrote in message wrote:

I've been doing it on and off for about 20 years or so and I've yet to be seriously hurt (ie. nothing that has left a permanent mark). It isn't difficult to do if you're not in a hurry.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080307000901090501050807 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Brian Henderson wrote:

Whoops, now that you've said that, guess what's going to happen!
--------------080307000901090501050807 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------080307000901090501050807--

You're going to be reminded not to post in HTML? <G> Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Yeah, my apologies! I clicked too quick!
brought forth from the murky depths:

No. The woodworking gods--just like the metalworking and auto-mechanicking gods--all demand sacrifices payable in blood. There are NO exceptions. Those of us who give more frequently in smaller amounts are generally spared the larger and nastier donations of full/partial appendages.
So buy a box or 3 of bandaids (my preference is the generic flexible cloth type at half the J&J price) and give freely and often. You'll be glad you did!
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
Larry Jaques wrote:

Hmmmmm. Me being the auto-meckanicing type, I have had my fair share of blood letting. Does this mean when I put on my " I ar a wudwrker" t-shirt that I will be spared. In other words, do I get credit when I wrench?
On 11 Feb 2004 04:37:26 EST, Mark and Kim Smith

nope. the woodworking gods and the car gods don't timeshare.
On 11 Feb 2004 04:37:26 EST, Mark and Kim Smith

Yes, credit for bloodletting to the metal gods. There is absolutely no credit at all for a misspelled tee. You'll have to cut yourself or get splinters to appease the WW gods.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Nope, as an ex-mechanic I'm here to tell you that fresh sacrifices will be required on a regular basis. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Subw00er wrote:

Every occupaption/profession has something that can hurt you.
I worked with (and often in spite of) computers - what could injure you there? You sit and type, look at the screen and print or plot (remember plotters - the drum and pen versions?).
Well, before the days of ergonomic chairs, spending 4 - 6 hour stretches each 10-12 hour work day for 6 or 7 months (during what is now called "a mission critical task") in a crappy chair can really screw up your lower back. Spent 3 extremely boring months in traction and another couple of months in physical therapy thanks to a severly herniated disk - from sitting for extended periods of time in a lousy chair.
And hey, every once in a while a lawyer gets shot.
Me, I know most of my tools, and wood even, can hurt me. Knowledge IS power.
charlie b
Well, that all depends on what you consider "hurt". So far I haven't been hurt seriously...well maybe once. I bought a cherry combo plane only to have one (or both?) of my kittens try out their teeth on the wooden knob. Now that hurt. :-(
Layne

<Layne> wrote in message> Some of these stories though...you gotta wonder if some people should

... and start with operation of automobiles.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/05/04

I'd like to see a motion sensor that lights up the blade when it is moving. Then I could train myself like Pavlov's dogs. "Light on - beware!"