Woodslicer band blades from Highland Hardware

Wow, first resaw of a 2x10 pine board for practice is darn near close enough to sand out the finish. I'm impressed

Reply to
Knothead

If darn near close, what will you use before sanding?

Reply to
Leon

Single finish pass in the planer to size it. I could run it through the Woodmaster with the sanding drum installed but it's set up to mold already so to the planer it goes.... I have the original Jet 18" bandsaw before they figured out that the column needed extensive beefing up. Been running Timberwolf blades since I bought it thinking the low tension was the solution. With this blade I think I might actually not turn this saw into a mailbox post..

Reply to
Knothead

Do you run your veneer through the planer on a sled or modified table? I want to get into veneering and cutting my own. I am currently shopping the bigger European model band saws.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the info...

How do you compare it to the Timberwolf blade (I see you've used both)?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I've used both and the WS puts the TW to shame.

Reply to
C&S

Living in Canada, I thought getting the Wood slicer from Highland, would be to much $$ for the smoother cut. When the Loonie hit about $0.85, I took the leap, and was rewarded with a smooth cut , it blew my mind. So much for the TW. Still I wish there was a Canadian source.

Reply to
mlpogue

My woodslicer is also much smoother than the timberwolf. BUT the TW is about 2x as fast on my bandsaw. If one is cutting veneer, or real close to final thickness the woodslicer is the way to go. For my workbench out of dunage, the TW was much quicker.

Now, I left the Woodslicer under tension, which I also do to the TW, and it broke a ways from the weld. A local sharpening shop re-welded it, but I have not yet reinstalled into my bandsaw.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Do you have any experience with the Laguna Resaw King?

Reply to
Leon

I,ve used the woodslicer for re-sawing, it works really good for me. Smooth cuts n the saw isn,t working hard. I use 1/4" Timber Wolf for my general bandsaw cutting, fast n works good, better than the 3/8" Sears blade i had been using. I have 14" Powermatic bandsaw, n keep the tension off when not in use. Only bad thing now is, my dog "snowball" passed on; he was 14-1/2 yrs....American Eskimo, minature(17#) he used to carry my scraps around n play in the shop....good dog....will miss him...

Reply to
George Berlinger

Reply to
Knothead

The Timberwolves last a long time but the alternating tooth pattern on the Woodslicer wins hands down on several points.

  1. Super quiet
  2. Hardly any chateer or resulting marks
  3. Thinner and seems to run cooler.
  4. Higher tension seems to be better suited for the saw I have. Jets first relaease of this 18' was still in the "beta" stages apparently when I bought it.
Reply to
Knothead

Sorry to hear about loosing the shop help. I keep two for that reason. The loss isn't so great.

Reply to
Knothead

Not so great but then there are two of you crying over the loss.

Reply to
Leon

No experience with that blade, they likely don't make em short enough for my uit. It will take a 2" wide blade, but getting someone to make a 72 7/16" blade is a bit trickier.

arw01

They will make them any size you want... you wil have to wait a while though.

Reply to
C&S
3
Reply to
Knothead

Thanks. Is that the regular blade or the "resaw" blade?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

They wider blades also get thicker, and thicker is not good on the smaller wheels of the Ryobi bs50n. When I researched buying this bandsaw used, it was noted they tended to break the wider blades. This being caused by metal fatigue as a result of the tight radius.

I might email laguna to see.

My current problem is the table is not close to flat, or even perpendicular to the blade path.

Reply to
arw01

Sorry, I was referring to the woodslicer. Which BTW only comes in 1/2" and

5/8"

I thought the Laguna's resaw king was a 1" blade. Yes, Laguna recomends that the RK only be used on machines with 18" or greater diameter wheels.

-Steve

Reply to
C&S