Woodshop for less than $1,000??

Page 2 of 2

When I decided to start woodworking, I had about that much money to start with, although I cheated a little because I had a few hand power tools already. For that money, I got the delta bench top table saw, delta bench top band saw, delta bench top jointer, delta bench top planer, delta miter saw, and delta bench top drill press. Most of them were miserable tools. The first to go was the table saw. I did two projects with it, then put it on ebay. I actually got back most of my money on it because I was able to include the "free" saw blade that came with my delta CS. The band saw was next. I was able to ebay that one also. The jointer was ok, but the table wasn't flat and was too short. I ebayed that one for maybe half what I paid. All I have left are the bench top DP and planer. I now have a floor standing delta DP. I'm debating whether I should sell the other DP or keep it as a just in case second drill press. The planer will be replaced in january or february. I also need to replace the miter saw because there's so much arbor runout, I can't miter anything. I may keep it as a loaner for friends or for cutting things I don't want to put on the nice miter saw. I also have some throw-away routers that I don't know what to do with.
Of the tools I got, only the planer and the DP were winners. If I could do it again, I would have gotten the base model grizzly contractor's saw. That way, I could have upgraded to cast iron wings or a different fence later. Rather than a miter saw, I would have made a miter sled for the table saw and used the circular saw to cut down big stuff. For the jointer, i should have bought s2s until I could afford a good one. I should have also started with the porter cable 690 for a router rather than the ryobi I started with.
On the other hand, maybe it would have been better to buy/build a workbench and start off with chisels, planes, and a dozuki.
brian
On 12 Dec 2005 10:55:10 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

I agree. The OP would do better with a few books on woodworking (for the style of woodworking he wishes to undertake) and a few hand tools. The HD kit bench would give him a start and a Harbor Freight vise would top it off. With those, he could start building a real woodworking bench.
As to saws, I've tried some lovely old Disstons (rip and crosscut) dozukis, ryobas, gent's saws, dovetail saws, and a few others. I have never found anything better for most sawing requirements than a ryoba. The little $26 razor saw I got from the Japan Woodworker is just great! Ads for these are in most copies of FWW magazine.
They're $25.95 DELIVERED! (ask for the hardwood version of their 9-1/2" Gyokucho) 1-800-537-7820 (Dept. D2, Fine Woodworking ad)
- They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services
I don't know what he used, but our local big box stores have 5 basic (crappy) power tools for $ 99 each (and often under on sale):
Table saw, bandsaw, drill press, belt/disk sander, miter saw
That's a lot of different tools for just half of your budget. Probably nobody in this newsgroup would be happy with them, so the question is purely academic.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Hello all;
I can only imagine what it would be like to afford only the top of the line power tools! Man oh man, how great that must feel. Most of what I read here is that if you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch. 'You can't do very good woodwork with a $150.00 Delta or whatever, you need the top of the line cabinet saw.' Instead of getting on with the hobby of woodworking, 'you should only read what others have done, since the cost of the power tool is what makes great woodworkers, not skill.'
There are a lot of folks like me who have a limited budget and possibly only a credit card to purchase things with, to take the sting out of the initial cost, so to speak. Yes, it would be great to be one of the Jones's that everyone needs to keep up with. But in reality, there are far more less affluent woodworkers than upper crusters. To make a point, a person doesn't need a Cadillac to go somewhere, a Chevy will do the job, a Cadillac will just do it in more style. So in choosing whether to save my pennies and not purchase a power tool until I have the very one that will make me a great woodworker, or maybe purchase a lessor tool and practice my woodworking skills when I am starting out, I choose the latter.
If I have to replace a $150.00 table saw after 4 or 5 years of use and upgrade to a better saw, what have I really lost, $150.00? I think not. I think that I have really lost nothing if I have learned how to to use the tool and stepped up to the next level of woodworking.
To wrap it up, just purchase what you can afford. A person can do excellent woodwork with nothing but hand tools. Power tools are just an option. Power tools just make it easier and quicker to do the job. The important point, at least to me is just get out in the woodshop and make things...with whatever tools you have or can afford.
Make more sawdust,
Dan Harriman Orange, Texas

<goofything2 wrote in message:

I would buy a good table saw, perhaps a Grizzly contractor saw, with a good fence. The table saw will always be the star of your show. Most everything can be done with the TS and you should be learning what it will do first. If I were in your shoes, which I once was, I would spend it all on the table saw. I started with nothing in the early 80's in doing cabinet work and now I own a cabinet shop. (I started as a carpenter in '74) I still want more than I can afford (mostly shaper cutters, etc.), but I would rather wait for a high-quality tool than to own junk. You will make more money in the future to buy more good stuff. Be patient.
woodstuff "Have a good day