Wooden wing for TS

I have a DW746 TS with the 30" rails. Right now I have a stamped metal wing on each side that came with the saw. The right-side wing extends about 11" -- about 1/2 of the way to the end of the rail. I'd like to extend that surface all the way to the end of the rail. I did acquire a cast wing that I can install there but discovered that its outer edge has no holes -- and it is only as wide as the existing stamped wing. Also, the front rail that holds the fence has no additional holes beyond the one that connects to the 11" wing.

Question: What is the best way to attach a "full-width" wing to the right side of my TS? Anyone have posted photos that show this?

Should I add the cast wing to the right and then drill it and attach to its right edge the second wing (made out of wood)? (I'd like to avoid the drilling, though if I had a tap of the right size it might make sense)? If so, how do I support the outer edge of the 11" or so wooden wing? With angled braces back to the roller base?

If I build the entire wing out of wood (maybe an mdf or melamine top for now), do I just improvise hardware to tie into the holes already in the saw and the rails?

Suggestions appreciated. TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

I did this when I put a Biesemeyer fence on my contractor's saw. I attached mine to the main part of the saw in a two step fashion. First, a block of wood that attaches with the same bolt pattern the old cast wing used. The extension table itself then attaches to that block with lag screws. The front and back edges of that wooden wing attach to the saw with the angle iron that comes with the fence.

BTW, the top surface of that wooden extension wing is melamine.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I added a Bies clone to my Craftsman several years ago.. I bolted the right wing straight to the main cast iron table. Less surfaces to have to keep aligned. Oddly my Jet cabinet saw and most other wide capacity saws have the right iron wing and table extension.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks. A problem with the DW saw is that there is no angle iron at the front edge of the sawy for the fence rails:

is a heavy round, chrome tube which serves as the rail and which I would have to tap. That being said, the other details you and Leon gave are helpful.

After attaching the extension to the TS's top, what I may do under the front edge of the table extension is secure a 2" steel or Al angle and then bolt that to the front round tube -- so the table would be cantilevered in the front. In the back, I can drill the steel l-shaped rail. -- Igor

Reply to
igor