wooden tool handle finishing

Search terms, nothing works:
tool handle finish tool handle varnish tool handle shellac tool handle urethane tool handle coating tool handle gloss *? tool handle glaze *? tool handle japanning clear japanning "japanning for wood" "for wooden tool handles" "for wood tool handles"
AND I KNOW I HAVE SEEN IT! ... sometime in the past. I would love to find a thick, super hard, fast drying clear coat, anyone know? I tried MW spar urethane but that stuff seems a bit rediculous... 24 hours later the first coat is soft in the thicker (run) areas, a hanging hand saw handle. You know, you gotta coat the whole handle and hang it to dry. Then when I sand it, I go lightly enough, and most of it simply sands right off the wood! It seems totaly futile. Any good ideas, or the right product out there?
Alex
AArDvarK wrote:

Try DAGS "handle coating" (without quotes).
(-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Lots of tools with handle coating, tool dip, and what in the world is "DAGS"? Alex
AArDvarK wrote:

Do/Doing/Did a Google Search.
I did a Google search on "handle coating" and found all kinds of handle coatings - ranging from a fast-drying hard epoxy product to a cushioned high-friction dip coating - on the first screenful.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

DAGS = "Do A Google Search"
--
Nahmie

Try the stuf they use on Chinese-made brickie's lump hammers. It's distilled from greased weasel shit - lasts forever, dead shiny and so slippery you can't swing the hammer without losing it.
I used Danish oil on my tool handles. Just about the only thing I do use it for - right sort of balance of oil , varnish, and not being _too_ shiny when you're finished.
--
Smert' spamionam