wooden tool handle finishing

Search terms, nothing works:

tool handle finish tool handle varnish tool handle shellac tool handle urethane tool handle coating tool handle gloss *? tool handle glaze *? tool handle japanning clear japanning "japanning for wood" "for wooden tool handles" "for wood tool handles"

AND I KNOW I HAVE SEEN IT! ... sometime in the past. I would love to find a thick, super hard, fast drying clear coat, anyone know? I tried MW spar urethane but that stuff seems a bit rediculous... 24 hours later the first coat is soft in the thicker (run) areas, a hanging hand saw handle. You know, you gotta coat the whole handle and hang it to dry. Then when I sand it, I go lightly enough, and most of it simply sands right off the wood! It seems totaly futile. Any good ideas, or the right product out there?

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Try DAGS "handle coating" (without quotes).

(-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Oil - the kind that comes from human hands, with perhaps a bit of sweat.

That's what I use.

Any

Reply to
George

Lots of tools with handle coating, tool dip, and what in the world is "DAGS"? Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

DAGS = "Do A Google Search"

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Do/Doing/Did a Google Search.

I did a Google search on "handle coating" and found all kinds of handle coatings - ranging from a fast-drying hard epoxy product to a cushioned high-friction dip coating - on the first screenful.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Try the stuf they use on Chinese-made brickie's lump hammers. It's distilled from greased weasel shit - lasts forever, dead shiny and so slippery you can't swing the hammer without losing it.

I used Danish oil on my tool handles. Just about the only thing I do use it for - right sort of balance of oil , varnish, and not being _too_ shiny when you're finished.

Reply to
Andy Dingley