Wooden Roller Coaster

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/teen-boys-build-50-foot-long-backyard-roller-193834535--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1
Leon wrote:

Takes me back to my teen days. I rode the wooden coaster at Omaha with TWO girls. Such a shaking and rattling it made. I was petrified, having never seen a roller coaster before. The second ride was free, but there were few takers.
--
 GW Ross

 A penny saved is a penny.

I've been on one wooden roller coaster and it scared the crap out of me. I rode it with a girlfriend so I had to pretend to be all brave and try to laugh it off, but I don't think I was too successful.
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:51:46 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Well with all the shaking, rattling and noise of the wooden coasters, it's no wonder some people don't like them. The smoothness of the metal coasters was like a walk in the park compared to the wooden ones. It's been at least 35 years since I've been on any kind of park ride though, so I don't know how current coasters measure up.
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:44:23 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

To this day, I can distinctly remember thinking the damned car was going to fly apart. Sure, I was scared too on the metal coasters, but it wasn't the same fear of them falling to pieces on me.
Love to se this kind of creativity for the young people. It brings back so many memories also. Like building forts, model airplanes, rockets, skate boards, you name it and we built it. A sand box with water in it, kept us occupied, and filthy for hours.... Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, electric trains, and many more for indoor activity..... Once I was involved with making a robot..... Another time we were stringing wires from house to house for our own morris code.... It goes on and on.... Good for the parents who allowed such a great project in the back yard... john
"Leon" wrote in message
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/teen-boys-build-50-foot-long-backyard-roller-193834535--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1
On 12/11/2013 9:19 AM, jloomis wrote:

Ahhh forts. Every year after Christmas and before school started back up we kids would gather all the discarded Christmas Trees and drag them to "the woods". The woods was a vacant 3 acre lot behind our house. We would dig huge holes next to a tree and build a te-pee around the hole and tree with the Christmas trees. It was a really cool place to hang out, 6 kids in the hole was a bit crowded however.

One winter, we had the perfect snowball type snow. Compacted and stuck together with just the right water content. It was a big snow, around a foot and a half.
We went into the back yard and compacted the snow by stepping into it, then moving over a few inches and repeating , many times. Packed down, the snow was perhaps 6 inches thick. Then took snow shovels and cut blocks out of the compacted snow, and proceeded to make a real igloo, about 10 feet across and 5 foot high, completely closed at top with a vent for smoke, and a real ached entryway. Built a small fire in it and hung out, It was really cool, and it occupied us for a week or better until it thawed. I scoff at some of the survival show when they attempt to build snow structures.
--
Jim in NC

I might have to try that one day... but I'll probably carve out a compacted mound I make with the tractor. Same fun, just bigger toys. :-)
They're guessing a winter storm might be coming our way this weekend, but from the description I don't think they know for sure. I suppose I should get my snow handling stuff in gear.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 12 Dec 2013 02:01:44 GMT, Puckdropper

Back in th early '60s, as a young teen, we built an igloo over 15 feet in diameter and over 6 feet high in our back yard where it lasted for several weeks untill some neighbouhood brats ran up it and fell in. It was built on top of about 3 feet of well packed snow, which we dug out in the center to make "bunks" down each side. We used a few candles to warm it up inside - which softened/melted the interior surface, which then froze hard and icy.