Wood storage bins under a counter

My daughter wants me to try to build some kind of storage bin under a counter in her utility room. I was thinking of (9) bins about 15' wide with a front lip at an angle like the stackable plastic bins you can buy. Does any one know were I can get plans or ideas? I was planning on using 1/2" plywood.

Thanks

Reply to
Sonny

Sounds like you've got ideas already. Just need to decide on the joinery, now. With 1/2 inch plywood, you're kinda limited. Show her your ingenuity. Tom Sonny wrote:>My daughter wants me to try to build some kind of storage bin under a

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

My daughter wants me to try to build some kind of storage bin under a counter in her utility room. I was thinking of (9) bins about 15' wide with a front lip at an angle like the stackable plastic bins you can buy. Does any one know were I can get plans or ideas? I was planning on using 1/2" plywood.

Thanks

Reply to
Sonny

Reply to
George

135' of bin?? That's one hell of a utility room, what's the rest of the house like??

;]

Reply to
Mark

instead? I have a ton of them i'd sell at a cheap enough price to make it affordable to do all she needs. the drawers I have are different sizes and the drawer holder attaches to the underside of the counter and these drawers slide in. I will hold three drawers per "holder". If you are interested let me know and i'll send you some pics and a price. Where are you located? Respond to the email address and send me your address so we can do this via email. thanks

Reply to
myxpykalix

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:55:23 -0600, "Sonny" brought forth from the murky depths:

Thank you for saying "try to" instead of "try and". It IS appreciated.

Wow, 15' bins will be awfully cumbersome. Do you mean 15' worth of bins, maybe 18" wide?

Do you want something like these, but angled and larger?

not like this $$$$$
here on the Wreck posted some pictures of their similar item (though in show style) back in 2000. Maybe someone can remember who posted the picture ToyFull2_20001115.jpg back then. It uses the same plastic bin ideas you have, but closed and not at an angle. I've always liked the idea though my toys are a wee bit different. ;)

Yes, ply and 1x2 cleats would work simply and cheaply.

How tall will this assembly be? Counters vary between 29 and 36" high but there is less room underneath. Are there any obstructions to deal with? Is there water to be dealt with?

Suggestions:

Have her buy the bins she wants and build a box around them.

Use an angle on the cleats so the front is perhaps 4" lower.

Put a strip of wood across the front just above the cleat to hold the bin back.

Use a strip of plywood 6-8" tall on the back to prevent racking.

Do a Google (or other engine) search for "toy dresser plan" for more ideas.

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques