Under Counter Oven Installation.

I plan to install an electric wall oven under gas cook top. At the same time I am replacing the base cabinets. The installation guide says the oven should set on a .75 inch thick platform at a maximum of

4.5 inches above the floor. The bottom of my old cabinets were 6 inches above the floor. If I use a 1.5 inch face, that will make the toe kick area only 3 inches high. Why would the manufacturer have a maximum height above the floor? There will be plenty of room between the oven and the cook top to increase that distance some.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth' to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

Reply to
William J. Burlingame

could you read the installation instructions again , and or post the make and model.

I have only seen minimum clearance specifications in installs. You should also have top and side clearance details .

Reply to
marks542004

I posted a copy of the page from the installation guide at:

The oven has standoff's on the side to prevent it from being too close to the cabinet walls. I have the 30" model.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth' to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

Reply to
William J. Burlingame

It certainly seems strange at first glance. Only reason I can think of is so have a minimum on top so it does not overheat the countertop. I'd have thought they would call out a minimum on top though, rather than a maximum on the floor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep. See the note:

"If no cooktop is installed directly over the oven unit, 5" maximum is allowed above the floor."

Notice that they also specify minimum countertop heights.

They're definately trying to maintain a certain airspace above the oven.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

It seems they would have specified the clearance between the oven and the top if that were the case. Cabinet heights vary. Many people are building cabinets a little taller than they used to. I also assume that the counter top material would have a bearing on the amount of heat that could be tolerated.

Since the original post, I've looked at the manuals for other brands. Most don't specify the distance from the floor, they just state the opening size and the side clearance. I've not as yet found another with similar specs, except for Frigidaire who must have built the Kenmore unit for Sears. They both use the same manual.

Here is a manual for a GE oven: