wood stick resisting snapping

Page 2 of 2

Bamboo is a terrible choice, because of the splinters.
I'm used to getting hit (martial arts) with either bokken (rigid, usually red oak) and shinei (bamboo strips, somewhat flexible). A bokken will easily break your arm if it accidentally contacts from a hard blow, but a shinei is the one that's memorable for leaving splinters behind, even in relatively gentle use (mostly they're used for kendo, with armour).
Whatever you think of any therapy, if someone asks you to make a peice of equipment for it, you should do your best as a woodworker, not pretend to be Ben Goldacre.
torge conrad maguar wrote:

My first choice would be fiberglass.
Next choice would be a pool cue.

Note the length: 150mm. Not 150cm. (150mm = 6" approx)
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Oh. Right.
Please update my suggestion to:
Next choice would be a cut-down pool cue.
C'mon ya'll. It seems we're making something difficult out of something simple.
The guy wants something small to push with - for whatever reason. Our (ex)President was able to figure out something the same size and shape using (genus, species) Nicotiana tabacum and it held up to the stress.
He said he's a novice. Without knowing what tools and supplies he has at his disposal, if he were in the US I'd say get a 1/2 inch dowel or a clothes closet hanger rod, a rasp, and sandpaper and have at it. A 4' dowel would give him 8 shots at it.
Whatever he has left he can make magic wands or chopsticks with.

I was thinking he could cut the shaft off of graphite golf clubs. You can get them cheap enough right after someone has a really bad game.