Wood splitter.. not just another one.

Start watching from 5:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew
if you want to see how it is made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.
--
Jeff

On Friday, May 2, 2014 4:51:40 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

That thing looks dangerous in about a thousand different ways, not to mention lung cancer.
On 5/2/2014 6:04 PM, Michael wrote:

Actually I thought it was pretty safe, and well made. The weight of the head is what drives this puppy. He counterbalances it with a spring and still must use his own weight to drive it, but very controlled.
--
Jeff

On 5/2/2014 6:04 PM, Michael wrote:

other great danger. I'd have worn gloves too.
On Friday, May 2, 2014 4:51:40 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

This looks promising:
http://www.geek.com/news/physics-exploiting-axe-splits-wood-in-record-time-1591725/
But expensive.
"woodchucker" wrote in message

Seems like a lot of effort for such small logs... most of them could be split with an axe, don't even need a maul!

or rotator cuff or something. It looks like it takes very little effort to pull down on the arm.
Two thoughts. If there was an "X" ax head, you could do a 4 way split just as easy. Also, the fulcrum is too high. It should be the same height as the top of the log to be split. As it is, the maul is moving sideways as it goes through the wood.
--
Jim in NC

"Morgans" wrote in message

Given his apparent affinity for complexity, an alternative would be a four-link set up so that the splitting "blade" goes straight up and down instead of swinging in an arch. ;~)
John
On 5/2/2014 9:47 PM, Morgans wrote:

The X would probably work on the small logs in the demo, but the really big stuff could be tough.

It also appeared to me that the wood was very dry, didn't appear to have any knots and was not all that dense. I would question the efficacy of the splitter on heavier, gnarly wood.

Yep, I noticed that too. But still his tool was still easier than me swinging my axe, safer, and quicker than waiting for a ram .
--
Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

On 5/3/2014 12:20 PM, Michael wrote: ...

He guides it into place but I never saw him not remove his hand before the actual blow. I give the ok on the risk scale it's pretty low.

On 5/3/2014 12:57 PM, dpb wrote:

then misses a step, the one where he moves his hand out of the way.
On Sat, 3 May 2014 10:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Michael

I did notice that. He seems to be checking the hit location first, then pulling it into place. People here probably use a similar technique using a miter saw. I always check to see where the blade will hit and where my hand is before I hit the switch. So far, I can still count to ten.