Wood Show in Twin Cities

Just got back from visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Minneapolis. Five-hour drive one way. By the strangest coincidence there was a woodworking show in town and we all made a trip to the fairgrounds where I had a chance to chat with Mike from American Sycamore Woodworkers' Retreat. They had some *beautiful* pieces on display. The curly maple rocker especially.

Watched the guy with the foot-treadle lathe, sat in on the demo on resawing with a bandsaw, discussed workbench-making, watched Wayne Barton chip carving, bought a chip-carving knife, got lots of shop ideas, and generally enjoyed myself. Didn't buy anything big but I dropped a bundle on supplies, including the Frank Klausz videos. When the folks at the Lee Valley booth told me if I wanted anything from the catalog that wasn't on display they'd order it for me and pay the taxes and shipping, I couldn't resist just a couple toys.

I was told there was another one coming in April, supposed to be twice as big. All in all, that was a fun time. I wouldn't have been able to go if I didn't have somebody there to put me up for the weekend. Bless her heart for not moving so far away I never get to see her. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:55:51 -0000, Dan Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

where did ya drive here from?

Traves, who at the show dropped a LOT of cash. . .

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

I live in the Twin Cities and didn't get a chance to go. It sounds like I missed a great show.

The show in April will be The Woodworking Show. If it is anything like last year, it will be a joke. Two years ago it was good, but way overcrowded. Last year, the show was way smaller, not crowded, but prices were outrageous.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

On Mon 20 Oct 2003 04:55:19a, Traves W. Coppock wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Madison WI.

Pretty easy to do. Everybody's just so happy to chat for a while. If they can't loosen your wallet for themselves, maybe they can get you to pry it open for somebody else. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

On Mon 20 Oct 2003 10:08:22a, Brian Elfert wrote in news:3f93fa66$0$41283$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.visi.com:

The only ones I've been to are the last one in Milwaukee and the little bitty one in a tent in the Woodraft parking lot last month. So I ain't all that experienced. This one was better than either of those. Except that the Woodcraft show had that $300 used Jet bandsaw with the riser block, so maybe all things considered, I liked that one better...

Hm. Sounds like I got lucky for once. The guy I talked to was Mike from PSwood.com. He said the April show was going to have over a hundred vendors, and he sounded like he was a full-time showvendor. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but I think I'm still gonna check it out. Who knows? Any excuse to visit my kid. Or is it any excuse to go to a show?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan it was great to meet you and thanks for attending the show and stopping by to chat. I sure enjoyed the show myself. The guy with the foot-treadle lathe is Don Weber, one of my instructors. His classes are a hoot. Not only is he a great woodworker and instructor...he is a real character. We have alot of fun when he is here at ASWR. I am glad you enjoyed the show and hope to see you next year.

thanks, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

On Mon 20 Oct 2003 09:53:52p, snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com (Mike at American Sycamore) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Good to see you too, Mike. Where's Don from? I couldn't place the accent. I was thinking New England, maybe New Hampshire, but now I'm not so sure. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan