Wood screws that don't suck?

I generally prefer deck screws but once the job requires a length less than 1-1/4", then I'm scrambling to find something adequate. Yesterday I was hanging chest drawers and I broke three woods with my hand-held screw driver. I drilled holes to match the shaft diameter. The only resistance came the threads turning through hardwood. Are there any shorter wood screws that don't suck? I'm seriously thinking of cutting deck screws down to size...
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Check out McFeeleys dot com. They've got a great assortment of quality screws.
--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,

www.mcfeelys.com more screws than you can shake a stick at and top quality as well.

Make it three of us!
RE: Subject
SFWIW, I use S/S, self tapping, coarse thread, sheet metal screws for wood applications.
I use a pilot drill that is 75% of thread OD.
No problems.
Lew

Yabbut, then you have to get your micrometer out and your calculator. It just gets too complicated. <G>
Max
Stop using wood screws and try using sheet metal screws. Lou
There are shorter dry wall screws that are pretty good. However, they are black, so you will either need to use them were you can't see them or plug them. I use them in preference to conventional slotted screws.
Also, if there is any chance of resistance, I simply soap the screw before turning it in. Either bar soap or liquid works well. If there is excess, simply wipe up with a damp cloth.

Apparently soap can promote corrosion on screws, wax is a better choice.

especially going into hardwood. I keep a bar on the workshop table, one in the box with my drill bits and another in the drill tool box. That way I can usually find at least one of them.

You know, I used to figure that wax is wax, and used paraffin on screws. Then I tried a lump of beeswax that I found in my cabinetmaker great-grandfather's tool chest. It works a lot better. With paraffin, screws in hard woods sometimes go in with a "squeak and stick" sort of chattering. With beeswax, no squeak and easier driving. Maybe the lower melting point has something to do with it.
John Martin
John Martin wrote:

Been using beeswax for quite a while. I don't use it with McFeeley's screws, but any brass screws always get waxed before being put in.

I use a wax ring from a commode seal. Cheep and it serves my needs. Jim

Jeff wrote:

Google "SPAX Screws".
--John

for use with wood screws. They solved all my problems with screws. The tapered wood screw doesn't grip until the last and when it does, it grips suddenly and will apply vise like pressure. The first time I used them, my mouth dropped open in amazement.
I buy screws at the box stores or a local hardware store now. :-)