Wood Prep?

Hello,
I'm sure this question has been raised before, but could someone fill me in. I want to use a water soluble aniline dye on pine, but before I do so what is the procedure for wood preparation. Thank you.
Suggest you sand to 180 -220. Spray the surface with water to raise the grain. Lightly sand again to remove the fuzz. Wipe with a just damp rag. Spray the dye on using very light coats. Cheers, JG
Art Lindquist wrote:

I've had good luck pre-treating the pine with a glue size before staining (using oil-based stains).
I keep my glue brushes in an old plastic cup full of water (topping off as necessary). After a while, the water becomes a weak size perfect for application prior to staining.
scott
Distilled water is usually used to pre-raise grain when water is used for dye.