Exterior trim wood prep question

I'm going to put up some trim around some windows on a stucco house. The wood will be standard pine.

What kind of prep should be done to the wood before painting it?

What's the best way to mount it on the stucco? Drill a hole through the wood and stucco and use a 2 or 3 inch wood screw?

Thnx

Reply to
J A

We assume this trim is to be applied indoors. (Pine is not the best for outdoor window frames exposed to the weather.) Indoor trim requires no special preparation. It should be clean and smooth, then either stained (one or multiple coats, depending on finish and colour desired) or painted (twice, i.e. primer and colour coat.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

No, it's exterior, going over stucco.

Reply to
J A

The nice thing about stucco is the aspect of never having to paint it. Adding wood trim just add maintenance. You may want to re-think that idea.

I'd use a durable wood for outdoors like cedar so it won't rot away. If you insist on pine, prime and paint it on both sides before you put it up

As for mounting, that depends on what is behind the stucco. If you use screws, use stainless steel.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or be really lazy and use consstruction adhesive. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

A thought: do you want the trim so the windows don't look like holes in the side of the house? If so, here is an alternative...probably no easier now that the stucco is hard but no maintenance...

Using a grinder, cut a "U" or "V" shape into the stucco about 1/2" wide and 1/4" deep 4" or so from the perpendicular edge. Now you can easily paint the demarcated area a trim color because you have a "stopper". I had mine scored in that manner when the stucco was applied.

Reply to
dadiOH