Wood in Va.

Page 1 of 2
Any woodworkers in Virginia know of a good place for lumber? I have mainly used maple and cherry, but do look for some exotic stuff every now and then.
I have been getting wood from a yard near Charlottesville. Great prices, not so straight lumber.
Siewers in Richmond seams to have high quality stuff, but is $2-4 more per bft.
I am new to woodworking and need some advice.
Thanks dave
Great place: (Richmond, VA) http://www.siewers.com /

mainly
then.
opps
Thats what I get for not reading your entire message. (You mention siewers... I feel silly.)

prices,
per
McFarlands in Winchester has some good prices and carries some exotics. Got some really nice purple heart there about a month ago. No web site that I know of but you should be able to locate them in the yellow pages. IF you cant let me know and Ill get the number for you.
Jim

Jim,
Do they sell in small quantities (<20 bdft)? Or do they only cater to the bigger customer?
Thanks
Scott Wilson

Yea, Siewers has nice stuff, but 8/4 Cherry $7.60 bft. Northland Forrest Products in Zions Crossroads $5.45 bft.
Trying to learn if it better to pay more for better quality. Or if there is a place to get good wood at reasonable prices.
thanks dave

Dave,
Been to Northland Forest Products in Troy VA (not far from Charlottesville on I-64) (www.northlandforest.com)? My experience is that you are going to have to work fairly hard to beat their prices at the retail level.
Montyhp

mainly
then.
That is where I go now. What do you think of their quality? Like I said, I am new, but it seems like you have to work pretty hard to get a straight board from them. Or is that normal?
"Montyhp" <montyhp at yahoo.com> wrote in message

prices,
per
That is as good as it gets for rough cut lumber. You will have to buy S2S if you want it any straighter.
Montyhp

I can't help but add that there is a lot of lumber available as a result of hurricane Isabel. I had a white oak tree quarter sawn by a local sawyer and dried by Yukon Lumber. A neighbor and I are splitting the wood and we will each end up with approximately 600 bf. Total cost approx. $0.50/bf.
Montyhp

I found that their prices are good, but I think the thicker stock (8/4 and up) is dried too fast, resulting in a lot of internal checks. The 4/4 cherry has to be looked at carefully for in-grown bark, but I think that's the norm these days. The guys in the shop are great people.
Now, back to S.C. for you Mr. Clemson. (Incidentally, where do you live in C'ville? I used to live on Monte Vista, but now I've moved on to greener mountains in Vermont. I lived in C'ville for 11 years and never wanted to be considered a Virginian -- I'm a Northerner -- but it's amazing how much I miss it now.)
Greg
ClemsonDave wrote:

Oh. I see in another post you're from Richmond. Well, move to C'ville -- it's a great town.
Gregory C. Lewin wrote:

Nah, too close to that other ACC school for me, lol.
Just picked up some 8/4 Cherry so we will see if it has cracks, hope not.
Dave

and
more
Gregory C. Lewin wrote:

Good looking UVA chickies running around all over. What else does it have going for it?
Now we are getting completely off topic, but since you brought it up; the 'chickies' are much better in Clemson. You know, those Southern Girls. UVA girls are too prissy.
dave

ClemsonDave wrote:

Are they? I can believe that. Lotsa old money /haute socit/ people go to UVA. It's still hard to drive through there and keep my eyes on the road though.
Well, geez, if you have to ask...
University and everything that comes with it (except for some traffic). More restaurants per capita then just about anywhere in the universe. Pleasant people (well, except some of them students again). Low crime rate ("only" one murder last year). Somewhat cosmopolitan feel in a small city. Good music scene.
It's consistantly "ranked" as one of the top places to live (now that I don't live there, it's ok for the rest of you to know).
Yeah, it's no Christiansburg (I've never actually been there) but it ain't too bad.
(I'm sure many people have good things about the places they live. I'm not on a mission to sell anyone on C'ville -- mostly just ribbing the OP because he went to Clemson. But you did ask, so there you go.)
Silvan wrote:

I travel the state on business, and I have to admit, I enjoy Charlottesville. Much more than Norfolk area. However, in case you have not noticed, Charlottesville is not really a small town anymore. Traffic on 29 is crazy. UVA is very nice, actually they are a customer, but it does not have the small town feel of Clemson. Much of my dis-taste comes from when I was in school and we traveled to other schools for football games. Hospitality at UVA was terrible, only behind the a-holes at Va. Tech. At Clemson, we fight on the field and welcome visitors to party with. I never saw that anywhere else. Again, just my experience.
Anyway back on topic, along with the cherry, I picked up some walnut from Northland FP, on sale. This is the 1st time I have worked with it. Wow, I think I have a new favorite wood. It is great to work with and looks great even before finishing.
dave

have
ClemsonDave wrote:

Who wouldn't? Hampton Roads has some of the most vile traffic on Earth. I used to run SE PA every week, down through Wilmington, Baltimore, and DC. I did that for a long time, and then I started running Hampton Roads. Traffic over there is much crazier. Not heavier, but more chaotic and unsettling. I was really surprised, since I cut my teeth on Hampton Roads straight out of school, and that's what I did for the first year or two I drove a truck. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had something to compare it to later. No *wonder* that guy wanted to trade runs with me and give me my "gravy" back!

Welcome to the club! I think walnut looks *superb* with blonde shellac.
It's hands down my absolute favorite, and I'm finding no other wood can make me happy the way walnut can. It's beautiful, it works easily, it smells wonderful, and the chocolate brown sawdust and shavings make me hungry. :)
I did Armer-Seal / Coat. Looks beautiful. It lost a bit of its mistic grey coloring, but is still beautiful.
Hey how bout those Tigers! Dave