wood

I have never worked with sassafras wood before is it any good ? is it soaf or hard wood?
neal.don asks:

It's a hardwood that's fairly soft and easy to work. Light, great smell, good looking grain (IMO), darkens to a kind of dull orangish brown after a time. Splits if nailed too near a side or end. Glues well. Finishes well.
Oh, yeah. It's durable. I've got just about enough to make a couple of birdhouses, so I'll try it come late winter.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/salbidum.htm
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/LandownerFactsheets/detail.cfm?Genus=Sassafras&Species=albidum
neal.don wrote:

ALL wood is good, some is simply misunderstood.
Barry

I used sassafras to make the T-handle on my vise. It seemed the only choice. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com