Red wine finish?

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a red wine based stain to give color to a project I have made.

I am a student in woodworking here in Quebec MTL and nobody in my class has ever heard of such a thing. Can you tell me if it exists or if it can be done? Maybe a recipe if you have one?

Thank you. Alexandre Gagné

Reply to
Alexandre Gagné

What happened when you tried it on some scrap?

It's mostly water, so in additional to whatever else it does, it'll probably raise the grain in a way that is or isn't attractive.

Alternativly, you might let some evaporate and then add alchohol or mineral spirits and see what happens.

My bet would be that alchohol would work better, but, as I say, you need to try it.

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

I take it your last batch of homemade wine didn't turn out to well.

Reply to
mp

One sure thing is that it'd be darn expensive

You could go downtown to one of your "finer" liquor establishments and get some mad dog, thunderbird or wild irish rose for very cheap ;) --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

A couple of things to consider for cost-effectiveness:

  1. Many liquor stores throw out bottles that have turned for some reason or another or they can't return to manufacturer.
  2. Perfect used for Boxed wine - 5 liters for . Better yet, buy the finger handled jug wine and use the jug for something else.

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

Trader Joes sells cheap wine that goes by the nickname "Two-Buck Chuck". $2.99/bottle. Might be worth a try as stain at that price, and you can finish the "stain" while you're waiting for the wood to dry.

Reply to
Hitch

Get some of the 2 buck chuck at trader joes. A drinkable everyday Cab for $1.99 a bottle. (Charles Shaw, vintner).

I think you'd get a better stain effect from something a bit older, however. Perhaps if you reduce the wine before using it as a stain?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Anyone else remember Thunderbird, for 99 cents a bottle?

Reply to
patrick conroy

Red Mountain. Or Strawberry Hill -- just the ticket to get the girls all tipsy and giggly.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Depends on your "wine". You might have some success with port (an old distressing technique in the antiques trade) but most red wines aren't light-stable enough.

Easiest way though is to use cranberries.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My age will show now. There was a liquor store down from the college that didn't worry too much about identification.

49 cents. Quart bottle of imported: brand name Vino Fino. Thunderbird, Annie Greensprings, Ripple were all later.

DanG

Wasn't there one called Night Train? I remember being in college, and we had no money.. we went downtown to the liquor store and bought a gallon jug of thunderbird. We were walking out of the store, and there was one of the local bums sitting outside. He saw us, looked at the bottle and said, "Don't drink dat. Dat make ya sick."

Reply to
mark

Vino Fino. With a name like that, it HAS to be good.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:46:47 -0600, "DanG" calmly ranted:

You forgot Spañada there, Sport.

(With pink and purple tuck and roll and 52 bottles of Spañada in the glove box for Saturday Night!")

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm sorry, but there is no "drinkable" wine for $2 a bottle!

Reply to
larrybud2002

And, as it happens, the 2-buck chuck (chardonnay) was rated in the 80's by Wine Spectator. Definitely drinkable.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes there is - DIY :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Ouch! I'm getting a cheap wine hangover just reading this thread!

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

There was one in Wisconsin by the High School. Heck, you could even walk in with your Letter Jacket and sleeves in plain view.

My best memory was Old Milwaukee - $0.99 a six pack. Three friends. Four quarters. And lunch hour was so much nicer.

Reply to
patrick conroy

This is smart - no more laboring over difficult furniture projects haunted by the thought that you're just going to ruin it by spilling alcohol all over it. I like it.

Reply to
Alan Edwards