Will Vinyl Trim Support A Storm Door?

I recently replaced my entry door and now it's time to install a new storm door.
The Question:
Does 5/4 x 4 vinyl trim have as much holding strength as wood? Can I hang a full view storm door from it?
The Background:
Due to the gap between the jamb and the siding (>3") I can't use standard brick mold. What was used previously was some 1" (a full 1") x ~3" wood wrapped in aluminum. The wood and alumnum are beat up and won't be reinstalled.
Per the manufacturer, I need to use material that is 1" thick to mount the storm door to, so I was planning on ripping down some 5/4" x 4" vinyl trim to fill the gap and then hang the storm door from that.
I used vinyl trim around a window I installed, and it was quite easy to work with, but I didn't have to hang any weight off of that trim.
Thanks!

I would definitely glue the trim on the hinge side to whatever is the substrate (plywood?) with some exterior glue of some sort and nail it good and expect the storm door to be fine. Liquid nails, PL400 etc.
RP