Why variable speed on Multimaster?

In the instruction book it says that everything should be run at high speed; so why did they make the tool variable speed? Is anything done at the slower speeds?
I emailed this question to Fein, but they didn't reply.

I use the scrapers at slow speed. Cutting or abrasive tools at high speed. I also slow down for plastics and stainless.