Why it's called a chop saw!!

As far as danger from kickback, your observation is probably correct. A more serious danger is from offcuts getting kicked out of the saw. My FIL had his eye damaged by a flying offcut when he walked into the school shop were he worked. They were trimming pieces, and a small offcut got caught by the blade and shot back to where he was standing. Ironic thing is that he had just stopped by on a day he was taking off to see how things were going.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

They should be, particularly the sliders ... just hope you don't find out the hard way.

Reply to
Swingman

You are right. If you are totally afraid of a power tool then you should not be using it. I am saying that to keep in the back of your mind that this tool can hurt you if you do not use it properly. Think first. If you jump as you hit the power switch or button on portables then put it down or walk away, call a friend to make the project for you. All you can say then is: "I own the tools that had that project made". instead of saying "I made this with the power tools I own."

Sorry for the humor.

OT: I told my daughter that in regards to training her horse. She wanted to send the horse off to have it trained by someone that would train it their way because she did not want to take the time to do it herself. I told her that if she did all the training herself as in ground training, then the first time she got into the saddle she could sit there and say she did it herself, instead of saying I paid someone to train my horse. She did the work, and she was pleased for what she did. It took her 3 months of ground work before the first time in the saddle.

The smile from her is a thank you for your advise. Her being 14 at the time, that is all I expected. She would never say it.

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.