Why it's called a chop saw!!

Page 2 of 2
Rule of thumb: Always have a little fear in power tools. When you become not afraid you may start acting stupid and things will happen. Know how to operate the tool properly and respect it for what it does and what it can do to you if not handled properly. Take it from me being left handed and having to think twice on most tools. I am in a right handed world. Two saw accidents with saws, one on the hand (miter saw) and one in the left leg (skill saw). Both being a dumb and kid not thinking. Don D.

Ok, I agree with a "little fear"- but it's not good to get gunshy, either. If you're too scared of a tool, and trying to stay as far away as possible, it's just as likely to cause an accident as doing something more obviously stupid. I'm not saying you're guilty of this, just pointing it out for anyone that may be just beginning in woodworking. A little knowledge and a lot of control goes a long way towards staying safe. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
You are right. If you are totally afraid of a power tool then you should not be using it. I am saying that to keep in the back of your mind that this tool can hurt you if you do not use it properly. Think first. If you jump as you hit the power switch or button on portables then put it down or walk away, call a friend to make the project for you. All you can say then is: "I own the tools that had that project made". instead of saying "I made this with the power tools I own."
Sorry for the humor.
OT: I told my daughter that in regards to training her horse. She wanted to send the horse off to have it trained by someone that would train it their way because she did not want to take the time to do it herself. I told her that if she did all the training herself as in ground training, then the first time she got into the saddle she could sit there and say she did it herself, instead of saying I paid someone to train my horse. She did the work, and she was pleased for what she did. It took her 3 months of ground work before the first time in the saddle.
The smile from her is a thank you for your advise. Her being 14 at the time, that is all I expected. She would never say it.
Don D.