Why I hate the Borg

Oh lookie, a spelling lame.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

No no - a spelling lame' - this is French for sumbuddy with a edukashun! LOL!

Jumz

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

You must have stood in the same line when the "lobomites" had their brains "customized". Otherwise you would have realized that particle board in the computer is particle board on the shelf and eleven dollars a sheet is way to cheap to be MDF. I mean, come on Phil, where the heck are you gonna get 3/4" MDF for $11??? Also, a housewife is not a "housewife" if she is working... I haven't ever worked retail, but I expect that with all the help that stores employ, not all those employed by Borgs are gonna be up to YOUR level of expertise in all things woodworking related. It's up to YOU to use a little common sense in situations such as you described.

dave

Phil Crow wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

Agreed - but they have just enough *stuff* to keep you hopeful. Just enough Freud Forstners; Bessey's, Bench Dog Blade-Loc, the PC 557 Plate Joiner for $199.

I - however - have come to grip with the fact that it's something pathological with me

5 REM 10 Enter BORG ever hopeful. 20 Wander looking for things that they moved the night before 30 Find 2 of the 7 things I need 40 Leave disappointed 50 DELAY 7 Days 60 GOTO 10
Reply to
tnfkajs

Cut the viking a break. '.no' domain implies non-native english speaker.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes, I do that, and I'm not even a puter pro! Depends on my mood, and spare time, but it can be real fun.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

You gotts to be talkin' about the greasy-haired pimple-face at the Powers Ferry store, right ?

Whut a maroon !

Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

No kiddin' . . .

Several years ago . . . a decade ago, really, I managed to make off with a 5'x5' BB sheet. Guy said they normally stocked the things for re-finishing desk tops. He couldn't come to grips with the notion that I was going to cut it up to make formers and such for my giant scale model aircraft.

Alas, I need another sheet or two. Got the first one at Atlanta Hardwoods, but they seem to have disappeared/relocated/gone.

Any decent hard wood suppliers in hotLanta besides the high-priced spread at Woodcraft ? Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Take heart, at least they got it right in the end.

Down heah, the wood you'd picked would have either been back in the stack or loaded on someone else's truck by the time you went to fetch it. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Ayup. I've had mixed experiences with HD. When I was installing a landscape irrigation system, I got some really good help/info; and that was from young guys you'd think wouldn't know anything. When I was looking for help buying a jigsaw (sabersaw) I asked the older 'expert' guy and he offered nothing I couldn't learn myself by reading the product boxes.

Then there was the time I needed a simple adapter for the gas line on a clothes dryer. I looked and looked and couldn't find what I needed. My wife was with me at the time (mistake) and, getting impatient, yelled down the aisle for a young employee to come help. I'd seen that guy but could tell he was useless so I was waiting for the older employee to return. Sure enough, the young guy literally dragged his feet as he walked towards us. Seriously, he walked like he was wearing 50 pound shoes. He looked for a few seconds and concluded, if you don't see it, we don't have it (which, by pure chance, he was right about). When the older guy finally returned, I asked him. He looked at the rack for a few seconds and then walked away. I thought "great, this guy just abandoned me." A couple minutes later he comes back with the part I need and hands it to me. I say "doesn't it need a barcode label?" He says, "oh, we don't sell those but we have a few laying around. Just put it in your pocket and leave." Now that's good service.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

"I don't know any place who stocks 3/4."

So, I went to Carter Lumber in Sheffield/Amhearst area.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

My theory is that every Borg has some of those good guys wandering around. The trick is to identify them and then zero in on them whenever you need help. Read their name tag. Write their name down if necessary. Call them by it. Buy them beer. Whatever it takes. The day will come when that guy will save your bacon because he knows who you are and is willing to bend a bit to keep you happy.

By the same token, don't short they complete ignoramuses. I've spent a lot of time explaining stuff to ignorant sales clerks in both the Borg and at computer retailers. Spreading knowledge is always good. Most of the older, more knowledgeable, guys started out without knowing anything -- maybe they didn't start in retail, but no one is born knowing the fitting you need to make your dryer work. Maybe with some encouragement and the employee discount some of those pimply-faced know-nothings will turn into woodworkers and one day come in here and explain how to apply poly to painted cherry.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Fred McClellan wrote

Fred --

Try

Brint Keyes

Atlanta Wood Products is still down off South Cobb Drive right near I-285. There is also Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw.

Reply to
David B. Chamberlain

It might be, except for the fact you were engaging in a "limited education borg employee" lame.

If one is going to cast aspersions at other people, one should have one's own ducks properly aligned or else be prepared for the consequences. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Nice weasel attempt.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Sorry, but probably not the case. Note the ".no" is part of his spam killer email addy ( snipped-for-privacy@thanks.no). Also, his original post refers to a Canadian borg, and although there are non-native English speakers in Canada, he doesn't appear to be one of them from the text of the message (spelling aside).

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

If you got something to say, tell their CEO 'bob snipped-for-privacy@homedepot.com'

Let me tell you, that will get some attention!

Enjoy.

Reply to
mind skew

Wow. It took me a long time to figure out WTF you were talking about. Takes me back to days of yore, man.

Personally, I don't like the Borg much. They have like three things on-hand that Lowe's doesn't. Otherwise they're Just Like Lowe's, Only Orange, and Lowe's is both closer and has better looking women working there. ;)

Reply to
Silvan

tnfkajs wrote: [snip]

GOTO Considered Harmful Edsgar

Reply to
jo4hn

Hey, my neice works at Lowes. You keep away - she is a sweet girl (albeit quite a cutie).

She says she gets hit on a ton working there.

- -

DL

> Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a bastard.

"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms."

- Anonymous

Halter Sucks!

Reply to
DL