Why does Bay Area Dave get so much attention?

Hi. This is my first post, but I've been reading the group for a while. Why does this Bay Area Dave dude get so much attention? Is he famous or something? He seems to act real weird, yet people flock to him like glue. What's up with this guy?

Lenny T. Seattle, WA

Reply to
Lenny T

Bay Area Dave is a troller. He posts things that are meant to get an angry response. You will often see this sort of thing refered to as trolling, and the instigator as a troll. The term originated from the fishing term, not the fairy tale bad guy under the bridge.

Some people get their jollies by trailing "bait" in the waters of a newsgroup to see which denizens will rise to the bait by posting angry responses. This can range from the simple-minded sort of thing where someone posts the equivelent of "YOU STINK!" and to some fairly subtle off kilter posts that look like they come from a clueless newbie but are so persistently odd that they raise hackles. The latter practioners are few and far between. Masters of the craft, so to speak. If you care to see some examples of both sorts, check out rec.motorcycles. Lots of baiting, from the simple to the truly inspired, going on there.

Dave has a way to go yet, but seems to be trying to become better at it, and I think some day with hard work and perseverence he may reach his apparent goal and be known far and wide as a "master baiter."

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

He's special.

Reply to
BayAreaDabe
[lengthy response to troll mercifully snipped]

Does that hook hurt?

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Welp, if I had to guess I'd say it was actually started some months ago by a few ego's that have been so tightly glued to on-line wREC persona's for such a long time (shortly after "in the beginning", when the REAL wooddorking Gods frequented the place, before apparently being run off by those who mostly buy their wood and tools at the BORG) that a bit of reverence, deference, and general ass kissing is expected due them in matters wood, politics, humor, choice of color, and often, what is topical.

It appears our bad ass Dave has always been uncomfortably, and uncommonly, vocal about not buying into this bit of High School holdover mentality and has proved masterful at bull baiting those whose elbows are heretofore calloused from having rubbed greatness, plus a few who are always willing to play along and kiss a little ass.

At this point it's a bigger indictment against the HS Holdovers/Ass Kisser crowd, as it appears from the sidelines to be HS Holdovers/Ass Kissers 1, Master Baiter 100 ... with the remainder of the forum participants on the losing end.

One thing is fairly certain from the current melee... few god-like qualities rub off due to longevity and digital acquaintance.

Reply to
Swingman

"...flock to him like glue"? :>)

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

How 'bout, "Like worms, out of a hot cheese log"? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Because he is like a scab on a little kid. The morons know they are irritated by him but they got pick away anyway. Personally I blocked him and haven't seen one of his post for a year or so.

Maybe I'll have to start blocking people who have too post about him and those that reply. The posts are getting as moronic as the ones bay ass dave posted.

After all they aren't contributing to the collective knowledge on woodworking. Kind of makes you wonder if they have anything to impart.

Hope that answers the question.

Reply to
Mike G

Who are you talking to? And how do you make your voice *DO* that?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Lenny T" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

I'd be happy to explain, but I agreed to a truce with BAD. Thus, the gag order. ;-)

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

Lenny, if you can take a suggestion, just filter on "Bay Area Dave" and you will be spared the type of threads such as you JUST STARTED!!

dave

Lenny T wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

I like the way you summed up the situation, Swingman! :) I'm in your debt for adding some much needed perspective here. For the time being I'm not gonna to be on the offensive. I noticed that many folks slammed Bruce whatshisname for attempting to post my "true" identity. That was refreshing. PLUS, I made up with Wood...damn I'm bad with names...let me check..."Woodchuck Bill". I get his moniker confused with Wood Butcher. Then there is Woodchuck34. woodworker Joe. sigh.

anyway, I just wanted to tell you appreciate your post.

DAVE

Sw>>does this Bay Area Dave dude get so much attention?

Reply to
bay area dave

:) I was just talkin' 'bout you! (Good things; like the truce we brokered!)

dave

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

Personally I thought he started a good bandsaw thread last year. It contributed to me ruling out the Jets,Deltas,PMs and go for a life time buy ..MiniMax.

Reply to
Lee

Lee, you definitely chose wisely, and I like my Powermatic! I used it Wed. to cut up large chunks of hickory...for adding flavor to my BBQ's.

dave

Lee wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

Yep I really wanted to buy into the 14" PM BS to complement the PM66,PM54, PM719 reciently purchased, that thread revealed a lot of positives but also a lot of short comings in that size of BS and got me thinking and studying for another few months and arrived at the MM16

Reply to
Lee

Man, I wish I could justify a new bandsaw! Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Would that be Nick Danger Third Eye? And to make your voice do that you just talk into the.....

Reply to
Allyn Vaughn