Which wood is in, which wood is out?

Page 1 of 3
I would imagine that woods go in and out of style just like any other product or furniture style. But I was wondering what drives the change is style? Is it availability or does the general public get herded into believing that "this is the year of cherry" and "don't do walnut, that was soooo last year". Who drives that impression into people anyway...home builders??? My local sawmill told me that the demand for woods shifts all the time from one type to another and they usually end up discounting woods that would have sold for a premium the year before -- but why??

fashion. same reason hemlines go up and down, colors change, and cars don't have fins anymore.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

Are you saying there is a relationship between hemlines and wood?
-Jack
(Are you saying there is a relationship between hemlines and wood? )
A short hemline can give me a woodie!
Sawdust225 wrote:

Nah, not me. Not really. Sure, I like looking at'em, but IME women who wear stuff like that look good and damn well know it. They learned from childhood how to manipulate the male of the species, and they use that fact to their advantage ruthlessly. We're nothing more than meat to them.
(Or so I tell myself every time I try not to get depressed when I look at SWMBO. ;)
Yes, but I find it strange that wood can be so fashionable. For example, I like walnut better than maple, next year I will still like walnut better, 10 years from now I will still like walnut better than maple. So what drives the wood fashions in the marketplace? Why is cherry hot this year and last year it was some other wood? I'm guessing it's just what wood is readily available in large supply for the year and the marketing people push it to the consumers as this years "in" wood.
On TV we see beautiful models telling us to wear this or that and, I don't know about you guys, but my wife try's to keep up with whatever someone on TV tells her is hot this season. But I haven't seen a commercial suggesting that this year I should look for the exclusive "made from cherry" official seal on any new furniture that I buy and that I should accept nothing less. So how is it that one wood becomes popular for the year? I would think that peoples taste in wood would be extremely varied making wood sales rather randomized based on price and availability. I'll bet most consumers don't really care what wood their furniture is made from, they just like a certain color which means any wood can be fashionable with the right can of stain. There should not be a "hot" wood for the year - statistically.

David P wrote:

I know several women who want to redecorate every time they watch a new show on HGTV. A lot of people don't really know what they like...more specifically, they like whatever everyone else likes...it's just fashion. yawn.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill
Chris Merrill wrote:

Bill Kossack asks:

Haven't seen any of them. If I get that hard up for entertainment, I'll sit outdoors and spit on ants.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
Hmm, haven't tried that one. I guess I will have to wait until spring, we had our first hard freeze last night.
BRuce
Charlie Self wrote:

BRuce <BRuce> wrote:

You should see my pond. Even at noon it was full of ice.
It's too damn early for this.
PS I don't watch them either except for Most Extreme after a particularly bad day
Charlie Self wrote:

One of the most hilarious shows on TV. Overdubbed Japanese game show with nothing but double entendres and outright vulgar comments.
I love it.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:20:38 GMT, william kossack

Made me throw up when I went to Ethan Allen furniture showroom. Sheesh! All types of wood in a "cherry finish." I'd rather see painted furniture. A lot of folks see my cherry nightstand which I used a Danish oil finish, yet very few people can recognize the kind of wood.
SNIP

Got to agree with this. In fact, most people can't tell what real walnut, cherry or maple looks like. Most of the furniture in our house is either cherry or walnut (I do this for a living--well, I try to do to this for a living). I'm constantly amazed how often somebody asks what the wood is.
The point about stain being more important than color reminds me of talking with my in-laws. They built a huge house in Florida, complete with "cherry" cabinets. I still swear they were maple with the most non-cherry "cherry" stain that I've ever seen. Of course, what would I know about wood.
David
David E. Penner wrote:

Not all of the blame rests on the consumer. The furniture companies are the ones that call furniture stained dark red/maroon "cherry". As Joe Consumer, it's completely reasonable to assume the furniture company knows what they're talking about, right? At least, until you realize that they're wrong half the time. The stain companies are not any better...we all know that 'cherry' stain doesn't look anything like cherry, fresh or aged.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

+ + + Careful. Careful. Careful.
You don't know what you are talking about. Cherry stain looks exactly like cherry. Think lipstick. Think fruit. Think car paint. If you have to think of a wood, think mahogany.
If cherry stain looked like cherry wood you would have to compare it to real cherry (ie European), not Black Cherry, which actually is not cherry at all. Just shows how dangerous it is to think names mean what you think they mean ;-) PvR
PVR states:

Prunus avium vs. prunus serotina. Which is not cherry?
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

+ + + Prunus persica (peach) Prunus armeniaca (apricot) Prunus dulcis (almond) Prunus x domestica (plum, prune)
are not cherries, nor are most of the 200+ members of Prunus PvR
PVR responds:

SFW? What makes the determination that only ONE of the original 2 mentioned is a cherry?