Which wood is in, which wood is out?

I would imagine that woods go in and out of style just like any other product or furniture style. But I was wondering what drives the change is style? Is it availability or does the general public get herded into believing that "this is the year of cherry" and "don't do walnut, that was soooo last year". Who drives that impression into people anyway...home builders??? My local sawmill told me that the demand for woods shifts all the time from one type to another and they usually end up discounting woods that would have sold for a premium the year before -- but why??

Reply to
David P

fashion. same reason hemlines go up and down, colors change, and cars don't have fins anymore.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Are you saying there is a relationship between hemlines and wood?

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

good question. MY dream kitchen of oak is now under re-evaluation. perhaps cherry or maple would be a better choice. What say the pundits?

dave

David P wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Who gives a rip what the pundits think? What do YOU like?

In my house it's a challenge. SWMBO likes light colors; I dream of heavy, dark, elegant built-in bookcases.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I like oak, but I think I'm getting a bit tired of it and in the spirit of the OP's question, I too, wonder if a certain wood is in. Look at all the homes with black granite countertops now. Look at the cherry raised panel doors without arches. Stainless appliances. That's the trend.

I wasn't asking the question to have someone tell me what I, personally should put in. I'll put in whatever I finally decide to!

Hey, I'm the guy who got a Unisaw when the vote was for the Powermatic.

dave

Mark Jerde wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yes, but I find it strange that wood can be so fashionable. For example, I like walnut better than maple, next year I will still like walnut better, 10 years from now I will still like walnut better than maple. So what drives the wood fashions in the marketplace? Why is cherry hot this year and last year it was some other wood? I'm guessing it's just what wood is readily available in large supply for the year and the marketing people push it to the consumers as this years "in" wood.

On TV we see beautiful models telling us to wear this or that and, I don't know about you guys, but my wife try's to keep up with whatever someone on TV tells her is hot this season. But I haven't seen a commercial suggesting that this year I should look for the exclusive "made from cherry" official seal on any new furniture that I buy and that I should accept nothing less. So how is it that one wood becomes popular for the year? I would think that peoples taste in wood would be extremely varied making wood sales rather randomized based on price and availability. I'll bet most consumers don't really care what wood their furniture is made from, they just like a certain color which means any wood can be fashionable with the right can of stain. There should not be a "hot" wood for the year - statistically.

Reply to
David P

Dave,

Just been thru all this with my sister-in-law and niece - both remodeling kitchens and I'm been doing the cabinet doors and building some French doors and bay window cabinets.

None of those woods in your list are out of style but each wood does fit better with a particular cabinet style. If it were French country, the cherry fits nicely, traditional then maple and oak for classic country. Just some examples...there's plenty more. It's probably the stain color that dates cabinetry more than any other factor - not the wood type.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I've been hearing more and more about sassafras.

Reply to
McQualude

cherry in, plain sawn oak out!

Reply to
joe

It's been that way for many years. Like a race between oak, cherry, and maple. I find better wood buys in oak and maple because cherry is "in" right now. I really don't know why, but all three are good woods to make furniture. It's beyond me why so many people got to have SUVs and cell phones. Fads?

Reply to
Phisherman

It comes down to the decorating Market then it filters to the stores that are selling and designing. All woods hold there own in the market place, Some just burn them selves out Pickeled Oak aka whiewash drove me crazy with people clamoring over it. Light to Med stained oak is always a big seller, and i believe Natural Maple has run its course as a leader but will stay as the light to medium oaks as a big seller. Here on the west coast Alder maintaine a fair demand. Cherry will not become a leader because of the cost Right now I personally do not see any wood that is in a leader, its pretty much like the fashion industry Anything Goes Anyway we decided to do our Kitchen in Paint, Oh ya it will knock most socks off.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I live in the Washington D.C. area, and as a rule, winters are much milder than those of my South Dakota upbringing.

After a snowstorm I walked down to the supermarket about a block from our house. The parking lot was about 1/4 filled with vehicles -- every last stinking one of them a SUV. I had a good laugh when I saw it. I could almost hear the conversations before each vehicle's hazardous trek: "Margo, we paid $$$ for our four-wheel drive. By gum, I'm going to DRIVE to the market and get that jar of salad dressing!"

Novii!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Same experience. Westover Shopping Center by any chance?

Marc, whose SUV is a 1990 Isuzu Trooper.

Reply to
MrAoD

Or as they used to say to us - an instrument rating doesn't mean you have to fly in bad weather.

Reply to
George

I know several women who want to redecorate every time they watch a new show on HGTV. A lot of people don't really know what they like...more specifically, they like whatever everyone else likes...it's just fashion. yawn.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

SNIP

Got to agree with this. In fact, most people can't tell what real walnut, cherry or maple looks like. Most of the furniture in our house is either cherry or walnut (I do this for a living--well, I try to do to this for a living). I'm constantly amazed how often somebody asks what the wood is.

The point about stain being more important than color reminds me of talking with my in-laws. They built a huge house in Florida, complete with "cherry" cabinets. I still swear they were maple with the most non-cherry "cherry" stain that I've ever seen. Of course, what would I know about wood.

David

Reply to
David E. Penner

Not all of the blame rests on the consumer. The furniture companies are the ones that call furniture stained dark red/maroon "cherry". As Joe Consumer, it's completely reasonable to assume the furniture company knows what they're talking about, right? At least, until you realize that they're wrong half the time. The stain companies are not any better...we all know that 'cherry' stain doesn't look anything like cherry, fresh or aged.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Reply to
william kossack

Bill Kossack asks:

Haven't seen any of them. If I get that hard up for entertainment, I'll sit outdoors and spit on ants.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self