window sills, which wood?

whats the best wood to use for window sills, most of them are standard , but i have one which may need to be made of seperate parts because its in a bow window

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
news.ntlworld.com

Assuming you're going to paint the finished result.........

Having had a couple of not very flat and (and sometimes knotty) pine window sills from my local timber merchant which I still ended up cutting to correct depth, I've just done one with an offcut of 16mm plywood sheet from when I floored my bathroom - with the front edge faced with pine decorative strip. Result is dead flat and looks good.

Cutting your own from sheet might sound like more work but if your required depth doesn't match whats available, it isn't really. Also suits odd shapes like bows too. Most timber merchants will cut to size for you for an extra fee.

Paint well though (I sealed the hidden edges before fitting too) - standard plywood doesn't like getting wet if you have condensation problems. You can get waterproof "marine" plywood but its a lot more expensive.

HTH. Midge.

Reply to
Midge