Which direction to run hardwood florring in long hallway????

Page 2 of 2
Whats that suppose to mean?

perpendicular
With only 3/4" ply, and flooring running lengthwise, you will get dips between the joists over the years. This can be remedied by another 3/8" ply or blocks between the joists.
Appearance is a matter of taste. Running lengthwise is much harder to install, but easier to sand. The short way is much easier to install but the sanding is all edger work.
M Hamlin

The conventional wisdom is that flooring should always run parallel to the long direction of the room. In a hall that means running the long way. If you sub-floor is adequate the direction of the joists is immaterial (remember that carpet gets laid directly on sub-flooring all the time and those floors don't have sagging problems).
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Matt,
I had a hall that was 77 feet by 42 inches. I installed the flooring cross ways because of the difficulty of nailing the flooring down without hitting the wall. However, I did not consider wood movement enough. 77 feet of flooring has to move, even in an air conditioned house. After a couple of years, I got 40 feet of washboarding, where the wood expanded (across it's width -- I used 4 inch quartersawn red oak flooring). Another hall, 16 feet long at one end of the longer hall has shown no problems, so I would guess that its the aggregate length that contributed to the problem. Yes, I let the wood acclimate for 2 full weeks, in the rooms along the hall, with the bundles open and spread out. I don't know how long your hall is, and only about the middle of my hall washboarded. I didn't want to surface nail one third of the oak pieces, which I would have had to do if I had gone lengthwise, so I went cross ways.
I used a nailer (hammer powered, not air) so maybe the floor just got put in too tightly as the distance went on, but most of the washboarding was in the end closest to where I finished.
Hope this helps,
Retireb