Which 8-1/4" circular saw?

Has anyone done a comparison review of 8-1/4" circular saws? I've looked for an article where they list all the various features and tell how each brand did.
I want to find the lowest weight 8-1/4" circular saw with soft start, brake, dust control, lowest noise, maximum depth of cut, easy blade change, enough power to cut 2x hardwood (oak, maple, mahogany) without burning up.
I'd prefer less than 15 amps required so I can use it with older house wiring or a portable generator. Speed of cut is less important because I'm already wasting time doing two cuts with a 7-1/4" saw (plus a lot of planing and sanding) to get the job done. I'd save enough time with an 8-1/4" saw to make up for a slower cut speed.
I know nothing's perfect. Obviously, a Wish list is just that. I'll buy whatever meets the highest priority needs best.
If this were a gun, I'd look at Browning, if that helps.
Milwaukee
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

BIG 2nd on the Milwaukee.
As a carpentry/woodworking contractor I am finding less and less satisfaction with DeWalt, and it started with their circular saws and recip saws. They are fine for the weekend guy and some occasional hard use, but unless you get lucky they don't last.
Ditto Hitachi. PC is pretty good, but not great. Their sidewinders have a little too much play in them, although with a 8" saw that probably isn't that much of an issue.
I haven't used the Bosch, but I have a couple of 7 1/4" saws that seem pretty good. Sturdy, pretty good muscle, and they have held up really well. But I would still look at the red saws first.
My 0.02.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1156348691.909884.250540@ 75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Either the Skil HD5860 or the Milwaukee 6378.
remember the amp rating is with the saw loaded down.
On 23 Aug 2006 08:58:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

For many years I've always just bought Millwaukee for C-Saws. I use both a 71/4 and an 81/4. Remember, an 81/4 is a bit of a beast compared to a 71/4. But it plows through tough jobs with ease.

All still work great. They cut anything and everything I need them to cut. I have one of the MAG77's just for cutting steel. I never had a situation where I wished I had a larger saw. If I had to replace all of my saw today, I would get the 1677MD 7-1/4" - it too is 15AMP and uses it all if required.
Dave

Guess I lead a sheltered life. I wasn't even aware that there were 8 1/4's until this thread started. I have several Craftsman (I'm a Sears retiree) high end 7 !/4 circular saws including the worm drive. Haven't run into anything they wouldn't do yet. RM~

OP seems to have a depth of cut issue with the 7 1/4" saw... That extra 7/16" or so of depth over the 7 1/4" can make a lot of difference over the course of a project when the materials are just a bit too thick!
John
Teamcasa wrote:

I have a depth of cut problem. I'm mounting the saw to a thick guide rail. I can't cut a 2" board with a 7-1/4" blade on that rail. If I use the smaller saw, I have to turn it over and cut the rest of the thickness, then plane and sand to make it smooth. It's a lot more work. I'd rather cut once.

Can you use this? http://www.bigfoottools.com/bigTenInch.html
I have one and it really works good for cutting stacks of plywood. Dave
I saw the bigfoot. It's overkill. 8-1/4" is the right size.