Whew! I dodged the bullet!

Page 1 of 2
My Delta 2 bag dust collector has been noticeably poor at picking up dust lately. The ductwork was clean. I have a home made chip separator but I checked the vanes and they were clean. Both bags were clogged with dust. I beat them with no change in suction. This morning while my bride was still asleep I took the bags off and shook everything off that would shake off, brought them in and ran them through the washer and the dryer. I believe in a variant of "Don't Ask--Don't Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say no". They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the dust collector works like a new one again.
--
GW Ross

How many of you believe in
On 7/11/2016 4:29 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Good for you! ;~)
I have a single pleated filter and it is going on 8 years old. I wonder how long those last. I probably suck up 100 gallons of dust a year with that unit.

You're a braver man than I. I don't touch those things.
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:29:07 -0400

are you saying you dodged her bullet or the bullet of spending money on repairs for the collector
if you mean her bullet you should remain vigilant for a few more days
they have ways of finding out you know
Lets see.
Invert bag inside out. under it is a propane torch gassing for a second. Then insert with protection...danger... and poof the dirt is blown out from the outside of the bag blowing it the way it came in.
Go much gas and you get to buy a new bag. Or your beloved needs to find a new wood worker.
Martin
On 7/11/2016 4:29 PM, G. Ross wrote:

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 7:16:22 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:

And take a video of this procedure... I wanna see the results. *AKA, like seating, inflating a tractor tire.
Sonny

Careful there Ross. If the missus finds out, you will be on laundry detail!!
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 4:29:16 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

I know not everyone can do it, but IF you can, duct your DC outside the sho p and have it discharge in a small enclosure, with enough space at the bott om to keep back pressure from cutting down on the CFM. Even having the pip e shoot into a 39gal trash can, with a good 8-10 separation between the pip e and the top of the trash can, will give you quite a bit of back pressure, hence cutting down on the CFM
Dr. Deb wrote:

If I was out in the country I would just take the bags off and let it go. But I have neighbors and keep the bags partly to keep the dust down outside and partly to help muffle the sound. The whole unit is outside the shop. I can't imagine having one inside with that whine.
--
GW Ross

In case of emergency, break glass.

The problem with venting outside that you'll suck out the good air (heated or air conditioned) and it'll be replaced with the bad (hot/humid or cold). I thought about putting the DC in a shed but decided that it was a really bad idea. I do have it in the next room, though it's still part of the shop.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Very good point!
--
GW Ross

In case of emergency, break glass.
On 7/13/2016 5:56 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Does yours actually whine? No doubt, but mine often runs constantly between on and offs of the equipment. While not quiet it is quieter than one of my Home Depot fans. And no whine.
What brand is yours?
Leon wrote:

Read the second word in my original post---Delta. I had a Jet when I lived in Texas and gave it to my brother when we moved. He later bought the Delta for me. They were identical as far as I could tell.
--
GW Ross

Welcome back to square one.
On 7/14/2016 5:34 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Mine is a Jet, pleated filter 1100CFM. Did you Jet whine?
Leon wrote:

Not quite like a jet plane taking off, but uncomfortable to be near. Only had one neighbor complain. She's dead now.
--
GW Ross

Welcome back to square one.
Not because she complained, I trust...

Wow! That is loud!

Shockingly loud. I often forget that mine is running although it is not quiet but not uncomfortable at all.

Mine is just annoying, nothing worse. It's certainly not going to kill a neighbor! ;-)
It's annoying enough that I have an RF switch glue to a magnet that I stick to the side of the table, so it's in easy reach. I don't shut it off between cuts but I will if I have to change the setup.

I seem to have lost track of the conversation here. Are you talking about the dust collector or wife?