Where to buy lumber in Houston?

I'd like recommendations from anyone in Houston on where to buy the stuff that you cannot obtain from Lowe's/Home Depot. I live on the west side of town near Wilcrest and Westheimer.

I'm looking for a place to regularly buy:

Baltic Birch plywood Hardwood Melamine coated particle board

Thanks for your assistance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Hi Bob,

Hardwood Lumber.... Just north of I-10, west of 45, inside the loop (in the Heights, South of White Oak)

700 E 5 1/2 St, 77270 713/862 6628 Richard Thurman/Jay Foster

Hardwood Products West belt south bound side, north of I-10. ??

Houston Hardwood

4910 W. 34th 713-686-6176

Willy Prihoda 281-239-5509 has a sawmill in Damon and is a source for rough wood.

There is also a sawmill or two up around Conroe, but I rarely venture that far up with wood in mind. :)

Hardwood Lumber is where I buy most of my stock. They charge top dollar, but their wood is generally the best with the least waste. Be sure to walk around all the warehouses ... you never know what you will find.

Swingman

I'm not in your area, but I've found once you find good local suppliers, there's really no reason at all to go to the BORGs. I've found that any area that is attractive enough for a BORG to open in, usually has a full compliment of pro suppliers.

I've found local suppliers of hardwoods, construction lumber, sheet goods, finishing supplies, tools, machinery, you name it. All of them provide better service and equal or better quality items, at competitive prices. I just needed to do the initial legwork.

Good luck in Houston, I'll bet you can also kiss the BORGs bu-bye!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I've seen someone recommended Hardwoods Of Houston in the Heights so I'll skip that one. For small quantities of hardwood, there is a new store, The Cutting Edge along the Beltway 8 service road just south of 59, northbound side of BW8.

They're about .50 a bd ft higher than Hardwoods of Houston but convenient for me on the way home and open till 6.

Reply to
Bruce

Bob, As a woodworking hobbiest in Houston, I'll be glad to help!

I got this little list from The Cutting Edge, now located just east of

59 south on the beltway.

Mason's Mill & Lumber Co.

9885 Tanner 713-462-6975

I take the beltway north from I-10 - exit Clay/Tanner. Go east past Gessner. I've used them for many years, for mostly cherry and maple

4/4 & 8/4. They also have hardwood plywood of varying thicknesses - and your melamine you're looking for. However, I was disappointed in their 4/4 cherry last time I was in - Houston Hardwoods has a better selection, but it costs a little more. They're not open on the weekends, so plan ahead when going. Call first for their latest prices!

Fine Woods of Houston

1818 Upland 713-468-7032 I haven't used them.

Hardwood Lumber Co.

700 E 5 1/2 St. 713-862-6628 I haven't used them, but my grandfather used to get stuff milled there.

Houston Hardwood, Inc.

4910 W 34th St. 713-686-6176 They've got a good selection, although not near the volume as Mason's. I liked their cherry selection - all heartwood one side.

This should get you going! Have fun in the woodshop. I wish I could get more time in there.

Mike Sugar Land

Reply to
Overdraft

And no one will because he has closed the lumber portion of his business and is just making furniture I believe.

Reply to
Bruce

I used to buy a lot from Fine Woods. Lots of rough stock. He'll finish to what ever you want , S2S, S4S, for and extra charge. They arent open on Saturdays any more, so you'll have to go during the week. Charley seems a little cranky at times but he's a good guy.

have a good stock of plywood. I've only picked up some 3/4" baltic birch. But will likely go back for some other hardwood ply.

Mason's Mill fealt more like they would rather deal with a contractor than you average Joe home woodworker, but that's just my opinion.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

That's too bad. He used to have a good supply of all kinds of stuff. Guess I should have seen this coming. First closed on Saturdays, now closed.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Fri, Feb 20, 2004, 8:05pm (EST+5) wrobertdavis snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob=A0Davis) says: I'd like recommendations from anyone in Houston on where to buy

It's interesting to me, that there's no mention of looking in the phone book, and making a few calls. Different generation maybe.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

We all look in the phone book but, like small children expecting the tooth fairy, we think that surely there is a lumber yard that doesn't charge $3 - $20 a board foot for rough lumber. So we talk about where we buy lumber in case we have missed something. It's much more interesting to me than talking about much of the drivel we talk about. :-)

I did pick up the name of a yard that I had missed previously.

It's interesting to me, that there's no mention of looking in the phone book, and making a few calls. Different generation maybe.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

A few of us are here to share experiences and possibly learn something from other's experiences ... you can't do that from a phone book.

Besides, one of the sources for lumber I posted is not in any phone book ... see above. :)

Reply to
Swingman

In defense of asking here, I live in Houston and have called and visited just about every on in the book. Only about 1/2 were worth my time to go to and IMHO all the good ones were listed here. You could spend 2 whole days visiting all the places in Houston and not spend enough time at the good ones.

Reply to
Leon

Swingman, what kind of wood is the sawmill in Damon offering and is any of it dried?

Reply to
Leon

A small one man operation, most of his stuff is in various stages of drying, but he occasionally has fully dried wood ready to go. Obviously hit or miss, but sure worth a phone call depending upon what you're looking for..

Reply to
Swingman

OK Thanks,, I'll add him to my list.

Reply to
Leon

Why have I been getting this message when I try to post to this group?

You are not authorized to send mail to the WOODWORK-L list from your snipped-for-privacy@HAL-PC.ORG account. You might be authorized to send to the list from another of your accounts, or perhaps when using another mail program which generates slightly different addresses, but LISTSERV has no way to associate this other account or address with yours. If you need assistance or if you have any question regarding the policy of the WOODWORK-L list, please contact the list owners: snipped-for-privacy@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

We all look in the phone book but, like small children expecting the tooth fairy, we think that surely there is a lumber yard that doesn't charge $3 - $20 a board foot for rough lumber. So we talk about where we buy lumber in case we have missed something. It's much more interesting to me than talking about much of the drivel we talk about. :-)

I did pick up the name of a yard that I had missed previously.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

What an unconstructive comment. I won't even bother to say more.

It's interesting to me, that there's no mention of looking in the phone book, and making a few calls. Different generation maybe.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

Bob Davis

Sun, Feb 22, 2004, 5:39am (EST+5) wrobertdavis snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob=A0Davis) says: What an unconstructive comment. I won't even bother to say more.

As was yours.

As I said, I find it interesting that people ask questions like that, without saying they already tried checking first, even tho they have. And, of course, some people just ask, without trying, wanting someone to do their work for them. I'm willing to help people who are willing to make an effort, but not those that aren't. That seems clear enough.

Of course, I could have said something like, "Hey dummy, why don't you try looking in your phone book, instead of asking on an international newsgroup". But I didn't.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

Well, JOAT, I do have an answer for you. The Houston Yellow pages has many, many listings for lumber and for hardwood. I tried going through it several years ago, and got very frustrated. A kind soul posted a list (almost the same as the one above) of REAL hardwood lumber dealers in Houston on the Wreck, and I stopped calling all those flooring places and wholesale lumber dealers.

The posting, and the answer, helped me, and has helped others since. The phone book was of no help in sorting out who to deal with. I tried.

Thanks

JOhn

Reply to
John Mc