Where to Buy Delta Unisaw.....

check woodworkers supply

Reply to
Norvin

Better deal or lower price? I don't know anything about the service and support you may get from Burns so it is difficult to compare.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I am now ready to buy a 36-731 Delta 10" Cabinet Saw with 50" Unifence. I am leaning toward buying from Burns Tools which provide free shipment. Anyone knows where I can get a better deal?

Thanks

Reply to
Joe

That's not actually a Unisaw.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Keep in mind that the "Industrial" model is less of a machine because if is Chinese... the X5 is their better one. Also it would be worth your while to get the Biesemeyer fence for very little more than the Unifence. For a home shop situation, I guess it doesn't reallly matter though.

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

I suspect the difference between the fences is purely what you learn to use and feel comfortable using.

I have a Unifence, would not leave home without it; however, have never used the "Bies".

Lew

BTW, suggest you support a local supplier for an item like this. The 10% you may save buying from out of town, evaporates pretty quickly, if you have a problem.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks for you and others for the suggestions. I got the impression from various postings and website that Unifence is better than Biesmeyer fences and they cost the same. Can you explain the pro and con between the two? The X5 Deltas cost much more than the other Deltas, and I always thot the premium editions are made in the USA too?

I have been lurking in criaglists or local sales and most Deltas are reconditioned or heavily used etc. The different in prices are not worth my trouble as I found out from my past experience. Shall I buy "X5."? For your information I will be using it to remodel my house and later use for cutting hardwoods into smaller sizes. I appreciate yours and other advices.

Reply to
Joe

Have both, used both, and at one time was responsible for making both. So here goes the pitch:

Unifence:

Has more features, but you may not need them. Fence can be pulled back in front of the blade to use as a cuttoff guide with the scale/cursor still active and accurate or to get more stability on the feed side. Can be laid over to make a finish cut on a piece that you have rough installed laminate. later versions have very nice stops that give you "memory" to your set ups. Has fine tune adjustment in all directions including perpendicularity to the table and height above the table.

Cons:

Only by comparison to Biese, a little more delicate because of cast aluminum body and aluminum extrusion guide rail and fence.

To work the "other" side of the blade, have to pull the fence off and put it on the other side of the body.

Biesemeyer:

Bulldog tough, basic structural parts all made of steel. Easier to clamp sacrificial face material on the fence. Fence face is laminate over baltic birch, laminate easier to remove glue, pitch, etc. Fence is finished both sides and can be worked both sides simply by sliding it past the blade on the guide rail.

Cons:

Doesn't have those nice features that Unifence has. Doesn't have a perpendicularity adjustment (unless they change it, has been a while), but the factory is Oh so careful about getting that right.

I always advised those that were doing production ripping all day long to buy the biese. Craftman work for fine woodworking buy the Unifence. everybody in between can flip a coin and not go wrong.

The X5 Deltas cost much more than the other

X5 and other true Unisaws are made in the USA (qualify, there are some castings from the orient, and unless it has been changed, motor is from Brazil). All others are made in China with the exception of the

12/14" saws which I think are still sourced from Invicta in Brazil.

In order of recommendation,1. pre 2003 Unisaw, used (with Marathon motor),2. Current X5 or other Unisaw, 3. imported cabinet saw. Opinions will vary a lot on this.

Frank I represent no one but myself.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I second Lew's suggestion; a local Delta dealer can often fix problems at your home, if you are close enough. I learned about this when I bought an X5 drum sander from my local dealer, Syracuse Industrial Supply, and had a minor issue with a roller on the sander. Quick, accurate, painless service...and the price after rebate was about the same as most I'net businesses..

--Jim

Reply to
KENDALL SEYBERT

Not aware of that, but, did not pay a lot of attention to that for which I was not responsible. When I worked shows, and had to represent all, I usually would get an area sales person to brief me on non-Tupelo units so I could talk intelligently (for me at least). This unit was just coming out, last show I worked (Atlanta 04). There was one in the booth, but I never had to talk it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Worth noting again.

You occasionally see a used 36-731 sold around here, and if they don't exactly state that the item is a "Unisaw", the implication is very strong that what they are selling is the famous Delta "cabinet saw" of yore. AAMOF, there was a recent example on Houston's craigslist that was so blatant that it made you want to reply back with "buyer beware".

IRRC, isn't there an issue about using a dado stack with the stock arbor on this Chinese import?

Reply to
Swingman

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:W2EUh.22006$PL.17170 @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

It also pales in significance over the years you will likely own and use such a machine...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

SFWIW, glued two (2), 3/4" (13 ply), pieces of birch ply, about 8" wide x 36" lg, then bolted this to Unifence extrusion with S/S bolts and wing nuts.

Provides a sacrificial fence as well as a place to clamp feather boards that serve as hold downs.

(You need 1-1/2" material thickness to take advantage of the built in reference marks on the gauge, thus the double 3/4" requirement.)

YMMV.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Your explanations are very clear and I'll go for the Biese, as I prefer the "sacrificial face material on the fence" I can live with Unifence too, I like the micro adjustment as some of my repeatability cutting will save time.

If I am not mistaken many woodworkers start with Craftsman and later graduated to a cabinet saw ahead.

I called a local stockist, they quoted me a -L31X-BC around $1,900 with $250 rebate from Delta. It includes the 50" extension table with support, but no mobile base and that is almost the price of the other China's made "Unisaw."

I am leaning toward the X5 after I get the blessing from SWMBO Thanks Frank, I appreciate it.

Reply to
Joe

You really can't blame buying from Internet, especially if there is substantial saving and minus local tax. The downside will be the freight charges and should the machines you bought is a lemon.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Reply to
Joe

I'd personally get a left tilt.