Where/How To Buy Hard Maple

I live in the Denver area and I'm looking for about 200 board feet of hard maple. I haven't found a decent source for hard maple. What I have found so far is pretty expensive.
I did a search on the Internet for companies that will ship lumber and what I have found seems to come up being less expensive than purchasing locally.
Can anyone recommend a reputable company with reasonable prices that will sell through the Internet and ship? Anything I should be watching out for? I have never purchased lumber sight unseen so I'm a bit leery of doing so.
Thanks, Jim
I've bought a few pallet loads of hardwood from these guys:
http://www.advantagelumber.com /
I am in CT so shipping from Buffalo, NY wasn't bad at all, so I can't be sure it'll cost you to get it to Denver, but their prices are pretty good so it might be work a try.
They shipped the items promptly and they were packaged very well. All of the stuff I got was in the rough, but it was fairly good quality, with a few boards having more knots, etc. than I would like. Probably the same would happen no matter where you get it.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

about 10% less than where I buy my lumber now. The gas would exceed the savings. Are you saying there is no one in CT competitive after the freight!
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:13:39 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

Mike,     What did they hit you for shipping to CT? Was it shipped via truck or UPS(or a competitor).
Thanks, Barry
Drive to Fort Collns to Sears Trostel in Old Town. Good wood, great folks. They buy bulk and mill their own finished stock.
LFW snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net
jegan wrote:

You did not say where you looked. I use Austin Hardwoods for most of my maple and Paxton for the rest. It is not cheap to get dry FAS maple in Denver. Both of these places will supply top quality wood shipment after shipment with no second guessing necessary. I normally pick my own lumber from the racks; however I would take their picks without any worries.
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
I didn't want to mention any company names. I had web shopped both those places and was not pleased with the prices. I used to live in Houston and purchased maple locally there for a LOT less that both of those companies where listing on their web sites or by phone.
Thanks for the assurance that both a good places to shop. -- Jim

http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/homepage.html
Try these folks. Nice people, they skip plane to save some wgt on shipping and will give est price on shipping if you ask.
RT

I keep sending this link, as a way to try to locate wood in any locality. http://www.woodfinder.net/home.html
Dave

You should add the caveat that Woodfinder's database is no where close to complete (and, in my experience, it usually includes the high $ chain outlets, and misses the serious dealers who offer the good prices for people willing to take 100bf lots)
John
Excellent! Thanks for the link. -- Jim

Try Bear Creek Lumber in Washington state. http://www.bearcreeklumber.com /
Over a decade ago I bought the lumber and cedar siding for a 6,000 sq ft house and had it shipped from the Pacific to the Atlantic for much less than I could buy it locally. They were very easy to work with and the quality was great.
Boden
jegan wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (jegan) wrote in

Steve Wall lumber is good. www.walllumber.com
Dunno how bad shipping to CO would be, tho. I'd guess there's places closer which would be cheaper. Seems like there's a place in Iowa that gets good reviews, but I can't recall the name.
John