Where Do You Get Yours?

...your scrounged wood, of course. I'm trying to gather some information together for one of my pages titled _Some Sources of Used Wood_. Presently, I have several paragraphs describing my experiences. I would like to include some of yours, much like I did with the Uses of Woodscraps section on another page. I will cut and paste good suggestions and label the grouping _from rec.woodworking_ or something like that and include the message header. TIA
Larry
Roadside discarded old furniture. This is rarely real wood these days, but the occasional dining table, coffee table, etc. will have solid wood legs, which I re-shape into other legs or turn something else from them. Dream Find: whole pianos I can dismantle and re-use. There's even some ebony there (black keys)!

Mostly out of alleys. Just wandering down the alley, particularly the week before the city does uncollected trash pickup can produce a lot of neat stuff.
I got some good clear maple from an old chair that I am recycling into a quilt rack, for example.
And don't forget storm damaged trees.
From work, of course. The other day I was contemplating not buying anything until all the stuff I've dragged home was gone. One slight problem, most of that is 3'-4' and under in length but then when you get down to it it's not that often (or that much) that you need longer lengths.
Then again, maybe it's me.
UA100, who works for an architectural woodworking company so we gets all kinds of stuff and not just the same old same old...
I've been getting a lot of 1 x 2 ash from the crates that Sears packs their snowblowers in. Once planed it makes for some nice inexpensive frames for my scrollwork.
Kevin Daly http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html

Anywhere and everywhere. I'm always on the lookout. Recently, my best wood comes from fallen trees (cherry, white oak, apple, dogwood, sourwood, ash, hickory, walnut, popular, and pine). I am lucky to live in an area (E.TN) where hardwoods grow like weeds! The pallets I got are just too time consuming to clean up.

Presently,
My woodpile. Sometimes the firewood hauler and I disagree about what should be firewood. I take logs to the mill for lumber, and turn any chunk that appeals on my lathe after chainsawing. Bandsawn, book-matched spalted pieces from firewood chunks make great tops for small boxes, or even the boxes themselves.

Presently,
Demolition sites. Best score to date was when some old workshop/garages came dowm, I ended up with 36 pieces of 80 year old pine (A beautiful red colour when cleaned up) 12 to 14 feet long x 7ins x 3ins. Most of it went into building my new 26 x 10 workshop.
Mick

So far what I have and will update every day or so. No images, just text so it loads fast. http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/wood-sources/wood-sources.htm
Thanks for your continued help.
Larry
"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote ...your scrounged wood, of course.
While it's not always used, I ask at garage sales if they have any lumber they want to get rid of. Many times they hadn't thought about that and just give it to me or sell it at a low price. One older guy had been collecting bits and pieces for years and said "take it, I don't want it anymore." Lots of variety in that stash, mahogany, teak, oak, etc. I did pay him a small amount because I just felt bad getting it for free.
--

Best Regards, Phil

Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake Washington
Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

You hit pallets but left out dunnage. I get 4x4 red and occasionally white oak hunks a little over 3' long from the dunnage pile at work. Most of it is crap, but there are a few gems now and again.
I haven't found a lot of good first rate uses for it, but it's great for making mallets. How many mallets can a man use in one day? True, which is why I stopped picking it up.

is
Mallets? The fish or the haircut?

Must be the locomotive.
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:22:09 -0500, Silvan wrote:

We repackage parts for automakers. Of late the Chrysler cylinder heads have arrived separated by 12/4x16/4x53 red & white oak and poplar. I check 'em for nails and other metal fragments, run 'em past the shaper & planer and stack 'em waiting until I get enough time to resaw them all into pieces for kitchen cabinets. I'm about there and showed the missus what flat sawn white oak with a dab of tung oil looks like last night and she is definitely on the team for new cabinets!
I also get pieces from folks who advertise "free firewood" alongside the curbs. Some of that 'firewood' is cherry and other fruitwoods.
Bill
--
Uptimes below for Linux machines. One desktop, one web server.
17:13:00 up 29 days, 3:49, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.03

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

My fence. When we moved in the back yard was fenced with 25 year old cypress. It looked ragged as it was touching the ground in places. After removing the screws and planing got some nice boards. Made a lot of bird houses, windmills and toys. The original boards were unplaned and 5/4, 8-12 inches wide.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Many of my solid surface shipments come on 12-foot x 30" pallets. The runners are two long timbers of significant heft. The biggest problem is the removal of the spiral/ardox type BIG nails. Many break. Most are ash.

hm. usually from logs that other people give me, or from jobsites that they're removing trees. then i can cut them up at my leisure with the wood-mizer, and enjoy all my scrounged wood.
jon e - not into used lumber
Recently helped a friend clean out an old house he'd bought for restoration and resale. He was about to burn a broken lamp/end table and a bookcase. I grabbed them. Table was made from some awesome cherry wood and the bookcase was Mohagany.
Joey