When renovating.. be careful

Page 2 of 2
Swingman wrote:

You had a moment that made you think, even subconsciously, "What's my integrity worth?"
When situations like this arise, we do ourselves a good service to ask, "What is the price of my integrity?" I think most of us, if put in the situation in that news article, wouldn't put our integrity up for sale for $182,000.
--

-MIKE-

Nope, it never even crossed my mind to keep those coins, not for a second ... granted, there may have been a brief "thought" if it had been 30,000 old coins, but there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever the outcome would have been the same.
As far as the contractor in this story ... the prick knows in his heart he never had a moral claim to money found on someone's property. If there is indeed a "legal" question about it, then you have in a nutshell one of the major issues in this culture - an erroneous distinction between morality and legality that gives weight to the latter - that is demonstrably bringing the country to its knees as we speak.
Just my tuppence ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

The only "benefit of the doubt" I can attribute to situation, which I could not gather from the news articles I read, is that maybe it had something to do with her claiming bankruptcy. Maybe they were negotiating some kind of payment for the job, from the found money, but that never got described properly by any news agency.
--

-MIKE-

In one case, the $30 was returned to its rightful owner. The rightful owner of the $182k was long dead. The contractor's duty was to give it to the homeowner. If I were the homeowner, I'd feel no obligation to track down the heirs of the original owner. Or track them down, give them the money, then charge them $182k storage fee.

I've been talking about the contractor this whole time, but homeowner's part in this is an interesting discussion.
Just thinking out loud... I would say that anything that is inside the internal structure of a house is part of the house. You buy the house, you are buying what's in the walls. It's the previous owner's responsibility to know what's in there. It's not like a safe inside a wall, behind a picture that some old lady with Alzheimer's forgot about. But then again, it's not an integral part of the structure.
Imagine if copper were to go up in price to match the value of gold in a hundred years and power is all wireless, you could see some interesting homeowner/contractor confrontations, when 50-75 year old walls are torn down to reveals thousands of dollars worth of Romex. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Just think of the time value of money. If he had invested that money in General Motors stock he'd have.....oh wait, never mind........