What would you use to seal this crack in a homemade manzanita walking stick?

Page 1 of 3
What would you use to seal this crack in a manzanita walking stick?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8736/16794473748_4b0ee6cc2d_c.jpg
Would you just cover the crack with a wrap of leather string instead?
BTW, I tried Elmers white glue (with sawdust) which just shrank.
I tried Durham's Water Putty, but, putty is not a glue, and it just fell out as the stick flexed over time (it's what my wife uses on hikes). Note: The business end of the home-made manzanita walking stick worked out much better than the hand-holding end.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8752/16774811977_b846f72bc2_c.jpg
For that tip, I bought a steel sleeve, & a rubber chair leg protector:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8689/16794734360_1797bb2f0e_c.jpg
The rubber doesn't last long; but the wife likes it (so I keep replacing it). If there's a better idea than rubber chair leg protectors, let me know.
Danny D. wrote:

crutch tips and walking cane tips. Take it to a drug store and see which fits.
--
 GW Ross

 Friends come and go. Enemies are
G. Ross wrote, on Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:04:03 -0400:

Are they a different rubber?

Likewise I'd use epoxy, but I'd mix sawdust in it to make a putty (and I'd skip the dye, the sawdust will darken the mixture).
John
"John McCoy" wrote:

Why waste quality epoxy with garbage filler?
Micro-balloons, even in small quantity, are inexpensive.
Lew

True, but then you end up with epoxy-colored epoxy. Using sawdust or sanding dust gives you a dark color that generally looks better. And in this application the strength of the result (which is probably better with micro-balloons) isn't a concern.
John
Danny D. wrote:

I'd go with the leather wrap , that end of the stick is not stable due to the open end grain . It moves with temp/humidity changes . Wet the leather before you wrap , as it dries it'll shrink .
--
Snag

Mike Marlow wrote, on Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400:

The cane will last forever; but the rubber tips last, oh, about a month each.
Danny D. wrote:

When I made my cane, I used a brass ferrule and stuck in a rubber cork. They last for 3-5 years but I don't go hiking :(
If you relace the steel tip with one that is, say, 1/2 to 3/4 longer you can partially insert a rubber cork. It will last much longer, more rubber to wear. You will probably have to whittle it slightly to skinny part of the taper down.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote, on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:30:47 -0400:

What I like about a rubber cork is, if I choose the size wisely, that I can replace it with wine corks, which I have in abundance.

Lee Valley part # 45K42.18 has been quite robust for me; over four years of rough trails and concrete sidewalks and the rubber tip is still ok.
Scott Lurndal wrote, on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:34:03 +0000:

Is this the rubber tip?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Gardening/45k4217s2.jpg
It is a bit big for the walking stick I made for the wife; but maybe I can fit a steel tip on the end, which then would fit the rubber insert.
Mike Marlow wrote, on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:27:26 -0400:

Good question. This walking stick is mostly used on the roadway, but, I would think people who use canes use 'em on the roadway as well.
It gets maybe, oh, about three miles a day, which is only about 15 miles a week (roughly, given she only walks weekdays with her friends), so it lasts roughly 50 to 75 miles.
How long do canes last typically? Do they go a month at 50 to 75 miles?
Danny D. wrote:

I don't walk that much but it has been YEARS since I changed my cane tip. But a factor as important as distance is the surface upon which it is being used...carpet/wood is one thing, a road is another.
I once spent six weeks mapping the geological structure of a mountain in Montana, lots of walking on both solid and loose stone surfaces. I shredded my first pair of heavy sole work shoes and the second pair was half way shot.
A road is not the same as a mountain but it is also not the same as "round the house".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 7:20:42 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Cane and crutch tips are fine for domestic use, not for that kind of walking/hiking use.
Not only will you need something more durable, like a skate break or how about a pogo stick tip, but you'll likely need a better attachment than simply slipping it on to the end of the stick. The attachment/attaching mechanism has to be durable, also.
Sonny
dadiOH wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 08:20:36 -0400:

This road isn't paved, per se. It's small rocks pressed into tar. They have a name for it, but it escapes me at the moment. When they retop it, there are bits of tar gravel for months, all over the cars. So it's a rough surface.

chipseal
It may be rough immediately after application, but within a few days, it's as smooth as any other asphalt. I've generally not had problems with tar on the car, either; at least in San Jose.
Scott Lurndal wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:13:15 +0000:

Yeah, I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. Chip-and-seal is what they call it, you're right. The airport & roads crew comes out every few years to chip-and-seal it.
It is a bit rougher I'd say, than the asphalt on the main roads.
On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 20:22:59 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Macadam is an east coast name.

And it's a street name in Portland, OR
http://tinyurl.com/qfnykej http://tinyurl.com/nn96mt6