What would you use to seal this crack in a homemade manzanita walking stick?

Martin Eastburn wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:51:54 -0500:

What they seem to do here, in the Santa Cruz mountains, today, anyway, is spread the gloop first, and then put the rocks on top, and then sweep the loose rocks away.

The rocks ping against the cars for weeks thereafter, sometimes months, depending on the road use.

Reply to
Danny D.

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:s43Tw.145571 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx21.iad:

Technically, "macadam" is just a crushed rock surface. If tar is added then it's "tarmac".

In modern usage, tho, "macadam" and "tarmac" have become synonomous, since no-one uses plain crushed rock any more (pneumatic tires tend to pull crushed rock apart, whereas steel wheels and horseshoes compacted it further; hence the replacement of macadam with tarmac following the advent of the automobile).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I'm not exactly sure what they are doing in my long-cold-winter area, but i nstead of filling the mid-winter pot holes with dark black asphalt, I've se en a few towns use a very light grey mixture of rocks and "I don't know wha t it is" binder. All I know is that the resulting fill is lighter than the grey that asphalt turns after a few years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have crushed rock in my long driveway. All limestone. It flattens out as the weight of tires crush it into place. The small chunks and dust glue the mass together.

I can eat it up with my tractor tires, to much weight on thin ridges that are designed to fit into the ground/mud.

I had granite in the front 600' - it was never put in correctly and is just sinking into the mud. If a pre-mix of fine dust and crushed granite is laid down first - sinks in and forms a solid base, then the rock is added to that stable base.

My driveway is 1400' to the house. Another 12-14 around two buildings and back out the the main driveway. That second section is slowly taking place.

Mart> Martin Eastburn wrote in news:s43Tw.145571

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I suspect it is an epoxy resin of some sorts. Many of the quick patches are that way - in a bag until needed - mix it in a wheel barrow and instant patch that glues down even on wet pavement. Most people use a torch stick to heat the hole dry and melt the sides a bit. I used to buy a bag or two a year to fill in areas and even extended my long driveway on one side with it. It was a dead end and had set their machine for the return run just outside of the driveway - the stopping point.

Mart> >> Martin Eastburn wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:51:54 -0500:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn