what to use over danish oil?

I just finished a cherry piece, have put watco Danish oil on (several coats) what top coat would you guys recommend?
Len
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:59:16 -0400, "Leonard"

Let the Danish oil completely cure, and then wait 2 more weeks. Use #0000 steel wool and Johnsons Paste wax, wait 10 minutes, and buff. Reapply wax every 6 months and buff.

The reason being that a hard, film finish over the softer oil finish will crack, split, and lift. A wax finish will finish it nicely for a satin finish.
Leonard wrote:

I've had good luck with Watco Wipe-on poly over Danish oil. Don't know about Watco Danish, I've always used Mosers (from Woodworkers Supply of NM)

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:59:16 -0400, "Leonard"

What factors normally guide your selection of a topcoat? Appearance, durability, protection, etc? You should be taking those into account.
As noted by others, Danish oil is used as a complete finish and can look quite good. It doesn't offer much protection, but some pieces don't need more.
If you wait for the Danish oil to completely cure, then apply a washcoat of dewaxed shellac (blond if you don't want to change the color), you can use whatever topcoat you wish. I use shellac as a finish coat on anything that I can get away with, since it is easy to apply (I typically pad it on) and easy to repair and looks good and is pretty inexpensive (I mix fresh from flakes).
I probably wouldn't use shellac as a topcoat on a table top but I have used it on a dresser, chairs, etc. and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

If you want to use a hard finish on top of the oil ,you will only need 1 coat of the oil the get the irradiance affect wait a week or two light sand with 300 or so then apply top coat .I use Poly top coat .
Rusty

days and then buff with the Beall system.. In 3 or 4 years, I haven't had bad results yet, IF I let the oil cure..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing