What to thin Minwax stain with?

I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a miniature object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with? TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

You can thin it with mineral spirits but I'm not at all sure that's going to change the color from black to gray.

Reply to
Tex

Use Minwax natural (clear) . Pour some clear into another container and sloooowly add the Ebony a bit at a time until you get the color you think you want.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Black is black. Thinning it will only make it less black, and your stain more like a tint.

The only thing you can mix black with to make it gray is white, so you would need to find some kind of colorant that is compatible. I would think though that a paint store would have to put in a lot to get that done (zinc white maybe?) and they wouldn't guarantee the product.

You need to take that stuff back and buy the color you need.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

You're in luck, Norm- just don't mix it, and it'll come out gray. If it's not quite dark enough, give it one slow swirl with a stir stick and try again. Repeat until you get the shade you want- no real need to thin it, the black will settle to the bottom on it's own.

Reply to
Prometheus

| On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:10:45 GMT, "Norm Dresner" | wrote: | | >I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a miniature | >object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with? | > TIA | > Norm

Based on several answers, I took some very light colored Minwax stain which was almost the same color as the wood I was using and added some Ebony stain to it. Final results to get the gray color I wanted was 1 part Ebony to 3 parts Pickled Oak. I've been told that I can also use the Natural stain and I've bought a can of it for future use.

Thanks to all who answered. Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

replying to Norm Dresner, Douglas1378 wrote: You could buy gray stain. You get the color you purchase

Reply to
Douglas1378

LOL! After thirteen years, it's probably faded to just the right color.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Most big box stores use universal prion tints that are used in latex and oil base paints probably will work in your oil base stain

Reply to
Dad

As always Read The Label.

Reply to