What to make first?

Page 2 of 2
"Ken Vonk" wrote in message

guidelines
out
Shop stuff is generally tackled first, but immediately thereafter consider tackling a table of some sort. Tables can be elegantly simple, or very complex, will improve your woodworking chops with each one you do, can be as cheap as your budget allows or built from scraps, SWMBO's love them, therefore they can be an excellent justification for more tools, and you can always find a spot for another one somewhere in the house.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

as
can
Shop cabinets and tables... If you screw up, off to the burn pile..... Fine Firewood is the early product of many woodworkers.
Ken Vonk wrote:

Ken Vonk wrote:

I made a bunch of small boxes from 1/4" hardboard. Cheap material, good practice.
-- Mark
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:32:25 -0600, "Ken Vonk"

Workbench. Make it large and heavy.

Being a newbie 1.5 years ago, I think I can offer some decent advise:
Ken, I think no matter what kind of wood working you're going to do, you WILL need a workbench. And depending on what kind of tools you have, you could make something very simple, or very complex.
I made one out of 2x4 construction lumber, with the top made with 2x6's glued together. Not the best top in the world, as it's not very flat, but I beat the hell out of it, paint spills, glue spill, drill holes, etc. I attached a wood vise to it, and it has worked out great. Cheap to build too since it's made of construction lumber.
I recommend buying plans from www.plansnow.com. Most are a great deal, and are VERY detailed which is excellent for a beginner. You can really learn some good basic skills. I've bought plans for a router table, cherry cabinet, bathroom cabinet and patio table.
It doesn't really matter as long as you make sawdust while doing it. That's the fun part! You can make anything you want and always remember that your work always improves in the process. The things you make are no worse or no better than anyone elses. We all have the ability to do great things!

guidelines
out