What to do with short cutoffs?

Page 1 of 2

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24" long, and are generally clear lumber.
They're only 5/8" thick, and rough sawn on the back side. A small portion are also cupped slightly.
In the past, I've ripped off the tongues and grooves, edge glued them into panels, and planed them smooth on both sides. But those boards were longer, and it's a lot of work to go through. I usually end up with panels that are only 1/2" or 3/8" thick.
I'm thinking about gluing them up into panels for some garage cabinet doors, but the panels would end up kind of small.
Anyway, I would be interested in hearing suggestions of what I could do with all these cutoffs? I already picked out about half of what I had, anything with big knots or splits was sent to the firewood pile. But I hate to just burn wood that is mostly clear like this.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Anthony

Bat boxes. They are made of rough cedar, and they are plenty big enough.

Kids or grandkids? Neighbor kids? they love to put together bird houses, bird feeders, boxes,. Know any scout leaders?
planter boxes
In a word, "kindling."
If you have a fireplace then use an axe to split at least some of them into 1" strips, more or less, and put them away for the winter.
Jim Stuyck

Jim,

I've already gone through the scraps I had left over. Anything that had knots or splits became firewood. I've got well over two years of firewood stacked up.
When I rip the tongues and grooves off to make panels, I also get a lot of small kindling size pieces too. So, no shortage in that area either.
Hoping to find a useful purpose other than just firewood... :)
Anthony

Basically if you can't think of something to use them for then toss them or burn them.

I keep a box of them handy for clamp pads. You can never have enough clamps, and you need twice as many pads as clamps.
You could also use them as framing for small boxes, whose surfaces are nice 1/4" plywood. I made a few for my children; they look nice and are strong enough to hold one of the grandparents. (DAMHIKT)
- Owen -
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:58:27 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"

Could make a lot of window boxes. Sand a few small ones down and put them in your sock drawer.....nothing personal.
Joe

(Oops. I think my cutoffs were a lot thinner than yours, so maybe this isn't a great idea; I didn't realize how long they were until I reread your post. Change "pads" to "cauls". :) )

Hi Anthony!
Three projects on which I used cedar (I had to purchase it from Lowes!):
1. A little wine rack in the basement: ripped it all into strips, then glued & braded into "racks". At about 6x8 ft, holds 300+ bottles. I figured cedar was just as good as redwood since nobody will see it much anyhow.
2. Deck box to store umbrella covers/charcoal/toys etc. Looks a lot better than those plastic things.
3. An ash box built around a 5 gal pail that to collect charcoal ashes etc. Lid to fit. I use a 13 gal kitchen trash bag in it to keep the mess down (we like charcoal grilling on the Weber).
FWIW
Lou
Lou,

Sounds like a nice project, but we can never keep more than a bottle or two of wine around here without drinking it. :)

Hmm... That's a thought. I'll keep it in mind.

Don't need an ash box, but it does bring up the possibility of using it for a cart for our electric grill. Thanks for the idea.
Anthony
Short cutoffs? Two words: Daisy Duke.
Small pieces of wood? You're on your own - marquetry maybe?
JLarsson
On 20 Aug 2005 19:13:21 -0700, the opaque "JLarsson"
Not a CHANCE! Two Words: UPS Girl http://www.davesdaily.com/pictures/211-upsgirl.htm
You oughta see the back shot. </drool> http://funfire.de/lustige/bilder-844-sexy-ups-girl-1.html

Intarsia, marquetry, inlay, or the alternatives: fire or trash.
----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design ================================================
Once upon a time, the vaguely trapezoidal Larry Jaques wrote:

I stand corrected, sir! BTW, in addition to being opaque, I'm also obtuse. :)
Hey - maybe the OP could do an intarsia of those two pictures with his short cutoffs. lol
JLarsson
On 21 Aug 2005 15:30:08 -0700, the opaque "JLarsson"

--snip--
I'm happy to be vaguely trapezoidal, thanks. "It beats 'rotund' any day." he sleekly opined.

One never knows

Say, did you know that your initials are backwards, too?
--
If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
Larry Jaques - Tom-Swifty in training - wrote:

{minor snippage}

Blame it on my dyslexic parents! :)
JLarsson
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:37:00 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I guess she must be really hot: Firefox fainted when it tried to load the first page. Wow. The second link, though, puts my sig into a whole new light...
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Now do a close zoom of the center of the pic. All the blood will rush from your (top) head for some reason.
I have the original series of 5 pics and the last one is a terrific ending...if she simply -had- to be clothed, that is. It's a very close-up shot of her, erm, tailfins. (Yes, I'd kiss her butt. Any time. Send her over!)
obww: We got wood!
=========================================================CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Wit the tongue and groove feature you could stagger the pieces and glue up some pretty neat looking doors for your shop cabinets. You could half-lap or T&G the ends or maybe just bisquick 'n goo 'em. Wish I lived next door - LOL!
<SNIP>

longer,
are
<SNIP> Anthony