What to do with old mineral spirits and used rags?

Page 2 of 2
On 7 Nov 2003 16:02:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

The one that made it's last flight a few weeks back?
Barry
I was going to respond but you beat me to it.
in message (Fred the Red

It isn't the launch that does it....
(Fred the Red

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 07:13:08 -0500, "George"

We are talking about the Concorde, correct?
Barry
message wrote:

No, the Space Shuttle Transport (SST).
--

FF

On 8 Nov 2003 10:14:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

Oh.
I think some us were thinking "_S_uper_s_onic _T_ransport, aka the Concorde.
I've never heard the shuttle called an "SST", but I surely haven't heard everything. <G>
Barry
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 22:00:24 +0000, B a r r y B u r k e J r. wrote:

That's because Space Shuttle flights are labelled as STS (Space Transport System). The final Challenger flight was STS-51, and the final Columbia flight was STS-107
-Doug
(Fred the Red

So what is it, if not the clorine compounds from the solid fuel oxydizer?
--

FF

It's the flight that reaches the ozone. Oh well, _I_ thought it was funny.
STS, BTW
(Fred the Red

It's the Chorine compounds in the solid rocket motors that damage the ozone. Those are released during the launch phase of the flight.

OH, yeah. Shuttle Transport System.
--

FF

Out over the ocean which releases tons of it daily. I'm real worried now.

Does what?
(Fred the Red

I use the disposable latex gloves when I work with BLO, tung oil, etc. When I'm done I hold the rag, peel the glove off my hand so the rag is inside, fill the glove with water and tie it like a balloon. Then it goes into the trash.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:14:06 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

Absolutely!!
They generate heat while drying. So, if you contain the heat, there may be enough heat contained to start the rag on fire.
Simply spread the rag out flat until dry...usually a day will do it. Then take it outside to a trash container away from the house.

Let it sit in a wide-rimmed container...outside, with no lid...somewhere where animals and humans can't get to it. It'll evaporate in a day or so. Then wash out the container...or toss it in the trash...again, in a container away from the house.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Lots of good suggestions. Generally I use disposable rags and just toss them in the shop woodstove. Spontaneous combustion isn't an issue. Of course if I have a rag soaked with thinner I am very very careful tossing it into a lit fire... pat..

Stove is the answer, no doubt. Summer puts them in the burn barrel.