what to do with Dad's bench

I have acquired my Dad's bench. In a former life it was the front door of a tavern in Wisconsin, where he grew up. It is 36" wide, 84" long and 2" thick. And solid wood. It weighs a freaking ton. I coincidentally am about to start building a shop. However, my bench plans were for something less massive. This bench has a lot of sentimental value (I used to build all sorts of stuff on it with my Dad when I was a kid) and I want to incorporate it into my shop somehow. But it is so big (and heavy!). I am fortunate to have a good bit of space for my shop (24 wide, 42 long), but I need to occasionally share space with a car or two, so most things are mobile, although my bench plans along a back wall were permanent attachment. Any ideas on what to do with this monster bench?
Thanks
Bob
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:34:56 -0600, "bob"
Use it as a benchtop. It's not all that big, not all that heavy, and no-one ever complained their bench was too small or lightweight.
Or else, move to Wisconsin and open a tavern.
Or post it to young Sam in London. He needs a bench.
--
Smert' spamionam

Thanks Andy, the thing is that it would probably cost a few hundred s in postage!! Thanks fot the thought LOL :-)
SB
P.S. - I bought a B&D wm536 today in Index.. 39.99 (early Xmas pressie from Mum & Dad)
-----------

How about putting it to it's original use and put a new door up. Maybe new access to the garage?

something
attachment.
keep it, keep it, keep it. lean it up against the wall and tape drawings to it. use it as a bench. use it as a door. use it as a BAR. who cares. just keep it. i still have the pipe vise my dad bought used after he returned from WWII. it's HUGE. i use it maybe once a year whether i need to or not. it feels like it's gained as much weight as i have since i inheirited it 30 years ago. it's awkward. it's in the way. i love it. my son-in-law covets it. maybe, three or four generations from now, it will be bolted to the bench you got from your dad.
martin caskey millers island, maryland
bob wrote:

door of a

Keep it, put it on wheels it you need to. Change plans if you need to. The older you get the more it will mean to you!
Phil
bob wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:34:56 -0600, "bob"

Use it for your bench top! I researched benches a lot before doing mine, and the thing that I heard a LOT was that the heavier the better... As you know from your projects as a kid, it's massive and sturdy... 2 requirements of a good bench..
Some really good advice that I got was in regard to the bench/vice combo... A good vice locks the wood to a sturdy bench, leaving both hands free to work the wood. If your vice or bench make you hold your work with one hand, your balance is incorrect in relation to the work..
My bench is mobile... a few weeks ago I rearranged the shop and moved the bench, but it took 2 of us and my floor jack.. lol

something
attachment.
Mount it so that it folds UP from the wall to a usable position, then folds back down for stowage.
I'd try to use it as a bench top but if room is a factor, I was going to suggest like Chris that you mount it on the wall. I was going to suggest drop down but either way would work. The back edge supported by strong hinges the front from foldable legs. Would give you lots of extra work surface when needed and be out of the way when not.

of
build
am
but
folds

*nods* I'd suggested fold up for use (with good fold-out legs) so that if for some reason it came undone while in the stowed position, it wouldn't swing down and damage a car, bike or person.
Lots of great ideas! Thanks guys! Think I'll go drink a Wisconsin beer or two and think about it. Oh. I only have the door down here in Alabama. Plain 'ole beer will have to do.

Sun, Nov 14, 2004, 7:34am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (bob) asks: <snip> Any ideas on what to do with this monster bench?
1. Get rid of it. 2. Keep it, and use it as a bench. 3. Put wheels under it. 4. Put wheels under it, and use it as an assembly table. 5. Put it in the house, and use it as an eating table. 6. Put it in the house, and use it for a model train table.
Now it's your turn to think what to do with it.
JOAT Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification. - Publilius Syrus
Bob, Keep it. And a question: What is a car doing in your shop at times?
On 15 Nov 2004 06:52:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JLucas ILS) wrote:

I've got an Alfasud nesting in mine ! One day I'll fix it, honest !
(JLucas ILS) wrote:

And I have a TR6 with spares in mine. It's going to be on the road this coming spring. I promise. Hank
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:51:15 -0600, "Henry St.Pierre"

The Vitesse and the Herald convertible are up at my Dad's place.
And there's a 2-litre Triumph 6 block in my other garage, along with the other Alfa.

Glad I'm not the only car guy here! Talk about a space hog, I've got a 1969 Impala SS (almost 4,000 lbs of Dee-troyt iron) taking up a bay of my garage. It's been there for 7 years. It's my next project, after the sailboat. I need to be a vampire, I think. There's no way I'm going to get everything done before I croak....
I just found a Norton gas tank in my soon to be new shop. I guess I left it there when I rebuilt my commando. max