What to do with 1" MDF?? and a Gloat

I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and stuff, what else can you use this for???
Also, I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood, looks like maple, both sides sanded smooth that was cut in half for $4.01 a half at Lowes....I'll keep checking the cut box in the back of the store!!!

Counter top back splashes.

If you got it from Lowe's, it was probably Birch.

1" thick backsplashes????? SH

Would not look out of place on a large countertop. For example, my kitchen countertops are 1.5" thick. One of them is almost 11 feet long, and the 3/4" thick backsplash does look a bit skinny.

Then my typical 1/2" backsplashes would really look skinny! I do alot of work for the military dept. here locally and they always spec 3/4" backsplashes. I have never had the occassion to install 1" yet though. SH
On 10 Nov 2004 15:04:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote:

Build 8-10 inch deep wall cabinets for your hand tools? Plastic or glass fronts would be cool.. maybe a little veneer over the leading edges of the MDF...
If I had room and a supply like that, I'd make a multi-shelve wood storage rack along one wall of the shop... would that be handy, or what?
If it really becomes a problem, ship them to me and I'll find a use for 'em...
Elmar wrote:

Actually the dust from cutting MDF on your table saw as pretty toxic but I have the safety equipment to work with it so you should send it to me. Just to protect yourself you understand.
Rick
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Mac, thanks for the great idea of the small shelve for had tools. Maybe I can make "pigeon boxes" large enough to hold many different tools, drills, jig saw, etc......
At $3 each I think it's a good deal.

Do you know what the going price for a full sheet is? Unless you already have a use for these narrow pieces, I think I would only get a few for $3 each. You may only be saving $8-$10 over buying a more usable full sheet. I can buy a 4x8 sheet 1" thick for $26.95. You will be paying about $15-$18 for the equivalent amount of material in less usable sizes.

Same sheet here at 1" thick is over $50.00 each. They are 100lbs and even with 2 people are not safe to move around to try and cut down.
Alan
: I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide : strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and : stuff, what else can you use this for??? :
Contact a car audio store and build sub-woofer boxes for them using the MDF. Quick and easy, oodles of profit if the materials come cheaply.
Here are some guidelines, designs and volume calculators for sub-woofer boxes
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
-Brian
If you want a very simple project, take a quick look at the picture I posted over at ABPW. I simply glued two pieces together to make a slab of 2" thick MDF, then cut it into 6" strips. I used these pieces to make a frame large enough (48" tall) to hang above our fireplace, but designed it so the angle on the top of the frame matched the pitch of our cathedral ceilings. Once it was assembled, I set my table saw to cut a 45 degree bevel & passed all 4 outside edges thru the saw. After filling the cut edges with wood putty, I sprayed the entire piece with black melamine paint. Then cut a piece of mirror that I just happened to have lying around,(I think it was from an old sliding closet door).NOTE: It's heavy so use a good solid system to hang it.
Total cost....under $25.00 Cdn.
I probably could have sold about ten of them by now, but my day time job keeps getting in the way of any hope of pursuing a real hobby.

Solid surface countertop fabricators often use 3" wide 1" thick MDF strips to make a framework (build-up) for their countertops. Full size 49x97 sheets are a bitch. I cut them lengthwise on sawhorses before I even THINK about taking them to the TS. BTW, that isn't a great price. Respectfully, Rob
I have been following this newsgroup for quite a long time and I am impressed with the knowledge of so many of the contributors here. Glad the elections are over.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Elmar) wrote:

I use it exactly for the purposes described below and have to special order it as needed from a local lumber company. I have them ripped the sheet in half lengthwise for the same reasons you cut yours before putting it on the TS. Even half-sized sheets are really heavy.