what to charge?

Page 2 of 2

LOOOOL. I know what ye mean... This is a little different ;)
Chuck

Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry's absolutely right. Do it for free if you want, but doing it for pay is a no-win situation. No good can come from this.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Right, free...or take it out in trade. (He said "she") <domg>
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

I vote with Larry.
Paid work is best done as an arm's length transaction.
Friends and family get free "help".
Barry
She isn't my friend friend, just a friend... OK?
Chuck

If you are looking at making a few extra bucks, your rate is in line. If you want to make a business of this, buy the right equipment, insurance, pay taxes, etc. $50 would be more realistic.
There! Thanks.
Chuck

First, I'd never get a dollar figure in my head without actually seeing the size of the job and knowing the scope of work. Even after looking at the job, I think it's better to give a customer a dollar amount the next day. This gives you a little extra time to think about all that needs done, and charge accordingly. Expect at minimum to spend some time pressure washing. If it is a larger deck, or the existing finish needs removed, you could easily spend a couple of days with the pressure washer, then a couple more applying the new finish. Personally, I charge a minimum of $100 a day for "sidework", and that is the easier jobs that don't require many tools and are close to home. More than likely, the price is around $200-250 a day for the average side job, and may go higher if I need to enlist help. This is above and beyond the cost of materials, or equipment I may have to rent. Don't short yourself, but don't take advantage of anyone either. Fair prices and quality work lead to more customers! --dave

There's a contractor I've hired a number of times at work, for things like adding office walls, doing positive air sealing, doors, etc.
He *never* gives me a price on the site. It's always 3 to 24 hours later.
His price is always one we are both comfortable with, his work is impeccable, and I don't hesitate to recommend him.
djb

considering that you have no control over what materials are used, no idea of the scope of the project and are perhaps not familliar with all of the processes involved I'd say this is a time and materials job.
consider how much money you need to make and find out what a handyman in your area makes and figure out your rate from there.