what to charge?

That's about what it's like for me, with my 52" riding mower. Not to count all the trees in the middle.

Reply to
Odinn

The point is really I don't want to give her a sudden massive amount, giving her a heart attach, like "well, lets start with $700" and work our way down. She will immediately slam the door on my face. I know I will explain the estimate can change, "give or take". I'll start with $300 if it looks like a 3 days work. If I find a can of worms, then of course I will point it out to her. She is very understanding friend.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:52:27 -0000, the inscrutable CNT spake:

Friend? DON'T DO THE WORK FOR HER! Working -for-pay- for friends and family is the quickest way to lose both.

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOOOOL. I know what ye mean... This is a little different ;)

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Larry's absolutely right. Do it for free if you want, but doing it for pay is a no-win situation. No good can come from this.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I vote with Larry.

Paid work is best done as an arm's length transaction.

Friends and family get free "help".

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

i have 2 acres of land and with a riding lawn mower i only take 2 hours. the trim job takes about 3 hours, plus another hour if i do the hedges as well. i stopped paying some one else to do it i just bought my own power equipment. and spend a day in the yard with my wife.

about the deck. an hourly rate is sometimes bad, the home owner wants to see you always moving and working. a flate fee i what i prefer, that way if i want to sit and cool off im not being given a dirty look for runing up the clock.

Reply to
Larry and Lois

She isn't my friend friend, just a friend... OK?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

considering that you have no control over what materials are used, no idea of the scope of the project and are perhaps not familliar with all of the processes involved I'd say this is a time and materials job.

consider how much money you need to make and find out what a handyman in your area makes and figure out your rate from there.

Reply to
bridger

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:13:14 GMT, the inscrutable Dave in Fairfax spake:

Right, free...or take it out in trade. (He said "she")